Longenhagen on who the O's will/should take

Right now, I have it:

Mayer

Lawlar

Leiter

Davis

Watson

House

Not interested in Cowser or Ford this high. It’s weird to see them say Lawlar isn’t a high upside SS. Seems like he may be sliding a little leading into the draft. If he is there at 5, I’m a happy O’s fan. Like Davis a lot. Agree that Mayer and Leiter will be gone. 

• Like 1

If Mayer, Lawler and Leiter were off the board, who would you chose?  I know that's only 3 picks.  Who's the 4th best player?  From what I have read, I would lean to Watson over Davis.  Not sure a backup catcher/1B is a good pick w/ the #5 pick.  I'm assuming that Adley is the #1 catcher w./ his superior defense. 

21 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If Mayer, Lawler and Leiter were off the board, who would you chose?  I know that's only 3 picks.  Who's the 4th best player?  From what I have read, I would lean to Watson over Davis.  Not sure a backup catcher/1B is a good pick w/ the #5 pick.  I'm assuming that Adley is the #1 catcher w./ his superior defense. 

I've always loved the idea of having two elite catchers who can go and play 1B/DH when not catching. Of course, that necessitates carrying a third catcher on the roster, but the third guy can be a catch and throw guy with little or no bat as he's not likely to get much playing time. 

Given catchers will only catch 100-120 games, that typically leaves 50 or so games (at least) for a lackluster backup to cover. If you take Davis and he and Adley both pan out as expected, you can then have both catch 80 games and play 1B or DH the other 80. In that case, if they both develop with the bat as expected, you get a full season worth of ABs without overtaxing behind the plate. Yet, you still get well above average production for the position. 

Of course, that's all speculating out way too far. Davis could become a 1B or he could be dealt. Or one (or both) of him and Adley could fail to live up to potential--or end up injured. All the more reason to go to best available even if you do appear to be set at a position. 

Gotta believe that Cowser is what they're looking for - and under slot player who also happens to be a great hitter.  

Personally, I'd take Watson if it's between him and Cowser - which I think could very well be the case.  I'd also probably take Jobe over Cowser.  

On 7/5/2021 at 3:34 PM, OriolesMagic83 said:

In this situation, I'd be most happy with Watson. He seems like the best talent at a potential under-slot price.

I also, like the profile of Brady House at Camden Yards. Big, athletic power guy with talent. 

I'm warming up to the Cowser deal, trusting that Elias and the O's scouting can sign talent in later rounds.

I actually still believe in Kumar Rocker, and him stuggling in the CWS championship game i think would make his price tag lower for the O's to sign. He'd be ready for the big leagues in 2023-2024 probably, right when Rodriguez/Hall will be hitting their stride hopefully.

I've said it here before, but for some reason Henry Davis doesn't excite me at all. But I do like that he's a college bat who, in theory, should be MLB ready within just a couple of years. 

All this said, from what it sounds like it's either Watson, Davis, or Cowser. But I'm going to mention Brady House as my dark horse prediction. 

9 minutes ago, Turtle said:

In this situation, I'd be most happy with Watson. He seems like the best talent at a potential under-slot price.

I also, like the profile of Brady House at Camden Yards. Big, athletic power guy with talent. 

I'm warming up to the Cowser deal, trusting that Elias and the O's scouting can sign talent in later rounds.

I actually still believe in Kumar Rocker, and him stuggling in the CWS championship game i think would make his price tag lower for the O's to sign. He'd be ready for the big leagues in 2023-2024 probably, right when Rodriguez/Hall will be hitting their stride hopefully.

I've said it here before, but for some reason Henry Davis doesn't excite me at all. But I do like that he's a college bat who, in theory, should be MLB ready within just a couple of years. 

All this said, from what it sounds like it's either Watson, Davis, or Cowser. But I'm going to mention Brady House as my dark horse prediction. 

Watson is my top choice too.  Anyway, Elias knows much more than me, so I hope he makes the right choice and luck is on his side. 

I believe Longenhagen is very informed and knowledgeable. But this is the first time I have heard anyone say the Brady House would be a 1B in a few years. That is not at all what I see, but ok. We do agree that he is likely not a SS for long. But he is a very agile athlete and a skilled defender.