MLB Draft Orioles: CBS Orioles C Henry Davis MLB.com - “insert discount selection here”

Roll Tide

12 hours ago, SpOkane said:

Both FG and MLB.com have Watson at #4.  Also, read rumors he is likely to sign an under slot deal. So, possibly BPA and under slot at #5. Another thing to include, FG said Watson would rank as the #64 best minor league prospect if he were eligible. Gunnar is listed at #88.

2021 Draft Prospects | THE BOARD | FanGraphs

Top Baseball Draft Prospects (mlb.com)

Interesting that they view Cowser a little higher than most.  Same with Kjerstad last year.

14 hours ago, forphase1 said:

I hope we do pass on Rocker.  I'm very skeptical on him,  especially in the top 5.  

Man, I don’t see how we can pass on Rocker for a second basemen or the 3rd/4th best SS. 

Rocker is a horse. He’s been healthy. 179k in 120 IP. He pitches some in A ball this year. Short outings. Next year he starts out at Bowie. You can likely pencil him onto the 2023 OD roster behind Means, Rodriguez, and Hall. That rotation core is just ok tantalizing not to try. 

You can build a 26 man roster out for 2023 and see a .500ish team with upside. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, NCRaven said:

At 5’ 9” I could see him moving to second.  If any of Westburg, Henderson, Ortiz, Hall, Hernaiz, Grenier, etc. work out at short, Watson will move anyway.  That’s why you draft shortstops.  They’re athletic and can usually pick up other positions.

If Elias thinks Watson is a  2B I doubt if he takes him.    He didn't take Austin Martin because he didn't think spending a #2 pick on a 2B was the right move.   I don't see why he would do that with Watson.  Either he believes he has the talent to be a SS or Elias takes someone else is my guess.

Each season he's had games missed/starts pushed back due to arm soreness.  No real injuries that we know about,  but that does throw up some flags for me.   His control is often lacking, and his drop in velocity for a part of the year concerns me.   I think he could be an ace, but I also think he could be average, or worse.  He's got a huge ceiling, but I also feel a lower floor than others think.   While drafting is always a crap shoot, at number 5 I want to take someone I'm fairly confident will be a major contributing factor to my teams success over the next 10 years.   I'm not convinced Rocker is that guy.   

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

If Elias thinks Watson is a  2B I doubt if he takes him.    He didn't take Austin Martin because he didn't think spending a #2 pick on a 2B was the right move.   I don't see why he would do that with Watson.  Either he believes he has the talent to be a SS or Elias takes someone else is my guess.

If Elias views Ford’s bat as similar in terms of potential as Watson, perhaps that is the under slot right there.  Ford could potentially stay at C but also has been reported to have the athleticism to potentially play 2B or CF.

22 hours ago, wildcard said:

I'm sure Watson will start his development at SS.  But, Elias may see a chance to take a player at #5; a player who is worthy of that high of a pick; and still be able to save some money under slot to sign another player later.

23 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Man, I don’t see how we can pass on Rocker for a second basemen or the 3rd/4th best SS. 

Rocker is a horse. He’s been healthy. 179k in 120 IP. He pitches some in A ball this year. Short outings. Next year he starts out at Bowie. You can likely pencil him onto the 2023 OD roster behind Means, Rodriguez, and Hall. That rotation core is just ok tantalizing not to try. 

You can build a 26 man roster out for 2023 and see a .500ish team with upside. 

THIS. 

24 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I think Mayer, Leiter and Lawlar will be gone. That said you never know. 

I think the question is who will the 4th player that is taken? 

One of the last mock drafts I saw went Mayer, Leiter, Jobe, Davis.  So Lawlar  and Watson were available.