Spenser Watkins gets the start tonight

SteveA

I know we don’t know how the Watkins experiment will unfold but I will say this...if we’re gonna watch a bunch of garbage SP I’d rather see young guys trying to establish themselves over guys like Harvey and Lopez. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, oriole said:

I know we don’t know how the Watkins experiment will unfold but I will say this...if we’re gonna watch a bunch of garbage SP I’d rather see young guys trying to establish themselves over guys like Harvey and Lopez. 

Watkins is 28.

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

But 5 months older than Lopez.  Not expecting much, but sometimes you briefly catch lightning in a bottle with a guy like this.   

Mike Wright's first two starts! And who was the right-hander who pitched a shutout his first start against I think the Angels maybe 8-11 years ago?

Just now, LA2 said:

Mike Wright's first two starts! And who was the right-hander who pitched a shutout his first start against I think the Angels maybe 6 years ago?

It was more than six years ago.   You’re thinking of Chris Waters, who debuted in 2008 with a 1-hit shutout of the Angels over 8 innings.   Time flies when your having fun!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It was more than six years ago.   You’re thinking of Chris Waters, who debuted in 2008 with a 1-hit shutout of the Angels over 8 innings.   Time flies when your having fun!

Yes, it was Chris Waters. The odd thing about that season is he was pretty bad except for two extremely good starts far apart from each other: the first start (1 hit in 8 innings, with Flat Breezy finishing it up with a one-hit, no-run 9th) and a real CG shutout (4 hits) in his 9th start vs. the White Sox. Sometimes he had it, but most of the times he didn't.

And I misremembered him as a RHP; he was actually a southpaw. 5 games--just one start--the next season and he was out of the MLB. 5.07 ERA (89 ERA+) in 76.33 total innings.

1 minute ago, LA2 said:

Yes, it was Chris Waters. The odd thing about that season is he was pretty bad except for two starts far apart from each other: the first start (1 hit in 8 innings, with Flat Breezy finishing it up with a one-hit, no-run 9th) and a real CG shutout (4 hits) in his 9th start vs. the White Sox. Sometimes he had it, but most of the times he didn't.

And I misremembered him as a RHP; he was actually a southpaw. 5 games--just one start--the next season and he was out of the MLB. 5.07 ERA (89 ERA+) in 76.33 total innings.

If you actually scan the BB-ref rosters, it’s amazing how many players get a taste of the bigs for 1-2 years and that’s all she wrote.   I did a thread about the players who played in 2016 but never got into a game in 2017: roughly one-quarter were one and done, 40% two and done.  

• Upvote 4