2021 Draft Thread

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I love it! 

Y'all just need to trust the process man. There is a plan. Elias and his team are all smarter than every single one of us when it comes to baseball. 

I love the optimism, and I guess if I try really hard I can see the thought process in stacking OF's to trade for arms later.  What I am struggling most with is, where are all these guys going to get playing time?

2 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I love the optimism, and I guess if I try really hard I can see the thought process in stacking OF's to trade for arms later.  What I am struggling most with is, where are all these guys going to get playing time?

That's the thing - we don't have to worry about it! They're going to make it happen and figure it all out. Because there's a plan. 

Remember when we had too many outfielders at the beginning of this season? What happened to these guys:

-Diaz is putting together a trash fire season in the minors
-Stewart is a reserve power bat off the bench and probably not a lot more, unfortunately
-Hays is solid but continues to get injured regularly
-Mountcastle is a 1B now
-Trey is a DH/1B
-McKenna is a nice 4th OF piece

Mullins, Hays, and Santander are your outfielders and everyone else is whatever. It will all work out. 

3 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Trust the process. If the O's do have a methodology to identify and draft good outfield prospects then any excess in talent can always be traded. 

Of course, the key is they hit more than they miss with these selections or there won't be anything to trade for pitching talent. 

I love how people are saying we can just trade OFers for arms later.

Who do we have that is any damn good that teams are trading for them?

You all scoff at dealing Mullins, yet we just draft 3 CFers.  So, we are now trading him and are good with it?

Otherwise, none of our OFers are doing anything to warrant teams trading for them.  

Just now, Sports Guy said:

You all scoff at dealing Mullins, yet we just draft 3 CFers.  So, we are now trading him and are good with it?

Otherwise, none of our OFers are doing anything to warrant teams trading for them.  

You can’t trade MiL bats for MiL arms?  It’s not like we are passing up 1st round pitching. 

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hi, it me, you can call me out directly. :)

We don't have any that are any damn good, you're correct. That's why this isn't really a problem yet. There's plenty of places for these guys to play because look how many players have flamed out just this year. It's going to work out fine. 

My point is, we're taking a ton of position player talent and we will eventually trade some of it inevitably. 

My other point is, you would have to be an absolute idiot to think Elias doesn't have a firm grasp on his farm system, its weaknesses and needs, etc. So why bother getting mad about his drafts? Obviously he knows what he's doing.