What do you want to see in the 2nd half?

Moose Milligan

26 minutes ago, connja said:

Diaz?  The guy who is below .200 at AAA?  Please.  calling this guy up would be the wrong message.  he needs to earn it.

Diaz is on the 40 man roster right now. If he is healthy you call him up based on his overall track record. The wrong message would be changing course from the organization's plan for a player based on small sample sizes. 

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yes.   Definitely want to see our closer do a backflip on the mound after earning a save.   

Baby steps.  First you need a closer to have a save opportunity.  With the Orioles luck, the closer does a backflip, suffers an oblique strain, and is out 6-8 weeks.   It would be far from the strangest injury in Orioles history (e.g. Cordova, Marty)

12 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Diaz is on the 40 man roster right now. If he is healthy you call him up based on his overall track record. The wrong message would be changing course from the organization's plan for a player based on small sample sizes. 

There is the idea that each time you look at a player's BA/HR/RBI you're peering directly into their performance soul, knowing exact the player they are at this moment.  The reason early season numbers vary so much is that everyone knows biorhythms are all screwy in April and May. That's what's great about science, there is no one right answer.

12 hours ago, connja said:

Diaz?  The guy who is below .200 at AAA?  Please.  calling this guy up would be the wrong message.  he needs to earn it.

Does "earning it" mean getting to some arbitrary threshold of BA or OPS?  Or does it mean the scouts and analysts believe that he's ready to play in the majors?

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

There is the idea that each time you look at a player's BA/HR/RBI you're peering directly into their performance soul, knowing exact the player they are at this moment.  The reason early season numbers vary so much is that everyone knows biorhythms are all screwy in April and May. That's what's great about science, there is no one right answer.

tumblr_mhdmicSf7A1qgnsnbo1_500.gif

• Upvote 1

I want to see the second half used to evaluate the fringe guys at the Major League level before we start seeing the bigger prospects break into the league. To me, that means, I'd like to see the following players: 

Brett Cumberland (whether Severino or Wynns go doesn't matter)

Tyler Nevin (particularly if Mancini is dealt)

Jahmai Jones

I'd like to see Diplan and Knight

I want to see Matt Harvey gone and I'd like to see Lowther, Akin and Kremer all pitching better (whether in AAA or MLB)

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

What I’d like to see is the D-Backs go on a 20-game winning streak, so that we can actually win a few games but still get the top draft pick.   

Whine whine whine - what difference would it make?  We won't spend our allotment anyway and never pick helium prospects anyway.  Elias must go and yesterday!!!  High floor low ceiling grumble grumble!