New? trade partners for Ramon

GotNitro

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's my understanding that the front office is split on what to do with Weiters in 2009.

The O's FO boggles me at times. If we don't sign Tex and/or Burnett, we should be cutting salary and going young. Sign a stopgap catcher for peanuts and then bring up Wieters a few weeks into the season? It's blatantly obvious to a majority (at least, I hope) of our fans that we're not going to contend next year, why worry about hanging onto R. Hernandez?

It's my understanding that the front office is split on what to do with Weiters in 2009.

No way man, c'mon.

If they're gonna do with Wieters like Tampa did with Longoria this year, that's fine...

But I swear, leaving him down any longer is completely unacceptable.

My big fear is that...they wait too long to call him up and he gets enough at bats to technically qualify for the ROY but loses out to Price. IMO, writers already want to hand that award over to Price already, it's practically giftwrapped. Wieters has an uphill battle to win that thing, but has no chance if the O's keep him in the minors too long and Price gets off to a good start.

I know that's silly, but the O's need something to feel good about in addition to Nick and Jones. If Wieters were to win the ROY, it'd shine more light on our youth movement and bring a little bit of much needed recognition to the team.

I can easily see the O's screwing that up and bringing him up after the all star break and ruining any ROY chances.

Oh wait, this is about Hernandez, right? :D

Trade him! It's not Bedard, it's not Tejada, we don't have to sit and wait to get multiple top level prospects from teams. Take a good minor leaguer or two, eat some salary and get on with it.

No way man, c'mon.

If they're gonna do with Wieters like Tampa did with Longoria this year, that's fine...

But I swear, leaving him down any longer is completely unacceptable.

My big fear is that...they wait too long to call him up and he gets enough at bats to technically qualify for the ROY but loses out to Price. IMO, writers already want to hand that award over to Price already, it's practically giftwrapped. Wieters has an uphill battle to win that thing, but has no chance if the O's keep him in the minors too long and Price gets off to a good start.

I know that's silly, but the O's need something to feel good about in addition to Nick and Jones. If Wieters were to win the ROY, it'd shine more light on our youth movement and bring a little bit of much needed recognition to the team.

I can easily see the O's screwing that up and bringing him up after the all star break and ruining any ROY chances.

Oh wait, this is about Hernandez, right? :D

Trade him! It's not Bedard, it's not Tejada, we don't have to sit and wait to get multiple top level prospects from teams. Take a good minor leaguer or two, eat some salary and get on with it.

Ramon needs to be traded ASAP.

I don't think Wieters has to worry about anything. Yea Price is great and when I saw him last year in Spring Training I thought he was going to win MULTIPLE CY!!! Wieters has to get 130 games in with DH and C. If he does, then I don't think it will be close cause this kid is going to put up scary numbers AND he is a Catcher.

Ramon needs to be traded ASAP.

I don't think Wieters has to worry about anything. Yea Price is great and when I saw him last year in Spring Training I thought he was going to win MULTIPLE CY!!! Wieters has to get 130 games in with DH and C. If he does, then I don't think it will be close cause this kid is going to put up scary numbers AND he is a Catcher.

Hope you're right bro.

It's so easy for the O's...if they want to wait a month, fine. Anything longer is unacceptable.

I think they're two separate issues:

a) where does Wieters start?

b) Ramon's future with the O's

If Wieters needs a month in AAA, fine, but who says we need to keep Ramon as our OD starter? I'm sure we could simply deal him and go with any other FA catcher until Wieters is ready. I also feel Ramon needs to be traded and we're more likely to get a better deal now than after the season begins. I just hate when I see people post that we should keep Ramon in case Wieters isn't ready. Just my opinion.

As many of you are aware, it is likely the intention of the team to keep Wieters in AA or AAA to begin the season. The reason revolving around the Arbitration Clock. However, some are already getting angry with the possibility that Wieters is kept longer than the Arbitration Clock requires. I'd agree, unless his struggles to begin the season.

If Wieters has a rough beginning to his minor league season, so be it... he should remain in AA or AAA (wherever they start him) until he shows he IS ready. Therein lies the difference.

Regarding Hernandez. I believe it's in our best interest that he is not an Oriole in '09, for any length of time. He should be dealt for whatever we can get for him.

If Wieters has a rough beginning to his minor league season, so be it... he should remain in AA or AAA (wherever they start him) until he shows he IS ready. Therein lies the difference.
15 days in AAA wouldn't prove at all that he isn't ready, even if he doesn't start off hot.

He's clearly ready. I don't even think it is remotely debatable. The only reason to leave him down is economic.

Jay Bruce is an interesting comp for Wieters. He had as good of a 2007 as Wieters did a 2008.

He was called up on May 27th after 184 AAA ABs.

The year before, Ryan Braun's 2006 wasn't quite as good as Bruce or Wieters' seasons, but he did have a good year. He was called up on May 25th.

Jay Bruce is an interesting comp for Wieters. He had as good of a 2007 as Wieters did a 2008.

The year before, Ryan Braun's 2006 wasn't quite as good as Bruce or Wieters' seasons, but he did have a good year. He was called up on May 25th.

I think Jay Bruce is a very interesting comp. Just for the fact that the reds are in shambles as well. Bruce was a big deal and the fact that he wasn't on the starting roster created some buzz.

He is a bit younger though and started with the Reds organization at age 19.

Matt was the consensus big bat in the draft and over performed his year one MiL projections that were already quite high.

I will say, since Wieters is a catcher, there is the element of calling a game and defense that is more important than say a CF, which is where Bruce plays.

15 days in AAA wouldn't prove at all that he isn't ready, even if he doesn't start off hot.

He's clearly ready. I don't even think it is remotely debatable. The only reason to leave him down is economic.

I'm in favor of waiting 15 days and then bringing Wieters up. But why is it not "remotely debatable?" He hasn't played AAA at all and the O's would like him to get more experience calling games. If he's hitting .180 after those 15 days are up I'd be in no hurry.

Right... that was why I was curious about the 15 days you mentioned earlier. Give Wieters until whenever the Orioles judge the service clock/arbitration clock timing is okay (early/mid May?), and as long as he's ready and not in a slump, bring him up. :)

Archived