Chris Davis retires!

MurphDogg

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It appears there is no insurance that was going to kick in to cover any portion of Davis' contract. Otherwise I think the Orioles let it play out instead of negotiating a settlement. 

So two of the biggest contracts the Orioles ever gave out ended with degenerative hip disease?

If Davis contributes his 2022 salary to charities, I think that would be the one gesture that could rebuild his relationship with Baltimore.  It's an enormous amount of money, but he can afford it, and he didn't earn it.  It would be a wonderful thing to do, but it's his money and obviously his choices.     

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Her revised tweet said this season though.  For 2022, she said he won’t get the deferred payments.

I think she worded it poorly. It reads like the $6M is off the books next year. Nobody else is reporting that. Her follow up tweet wasn’t much better. 

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

If Davis contributes his 2022 salary to charities, I think that would be the one gesture that could rebuild his relationship with Baltimore.  It's an enormous amount of money, but he can afford it, and he didn't earn it.  It would be a wonderful thing to do, but it's his money and obviously his choices.     

There are plenty of reasons to knock Davis, but his generosity is not one of them. He’s been immensely generous to Baltimore. To say he should donate his entire 2022 salary just isn’t fair. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

So the Orioles have no guaranteed player contracts now for the 2022 season.

I'm just hoping that every year we can have a Bonilla-like day when Davis gets his deferred payment and the entire social media-verse can laugh and laugh, and demonstrate that they have no concept of the time value of money.

• Upvote 3