(Edit: Orioles get 1st pick after walkoff homer by Diamondbacks)

Greenpastures23

Sorry if this has already been addressed here. Am I correct to assume that the Orioles own the draft tie breaker with AZ if both teams finish with the same record? Normally the tie break by rule is the W/L record the previous season, with the worse team then considered the worse team now. But both the Orioles and D-Backs had the same record in the shortened 2020 season so I’m guessing a second tie break would use their respective records in 2019, when the Orioles had a much worse record than the D-Backs. Is that how it works, or is there some other system in place to break the tie? 

5 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Sorry if this has already been addressed here. Am I correct to assume that the Orioles own the draft tie breaker with AZ if both teams finish with the same record? Normally the tie break by rule is the W/L record the previous season, with the worse team then considered the worse team now. But both the Orioles and D-Backs had the same record in the shortened 2020 season so I’m guessing a second tie break would use their respective records in 2019, when the Orioles had a much worse record than the D-Backs. Is that how it works, or is there some other system in place to break the tie? 

I believe this is correct although I'm too lazy to look it up to verify. I do know that Tankathon currently shows us as owning the top pick which means we win the tiebreaker regardless of how it works:

http://www.tankathon.com/mlb

5 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

You are correct. The team with the worst record the year before holds the tiebreaker. ?I hope that helps. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, connja said:

Are we at the point in the season where it's OK to root for the L now?  While yesterday was painful to lose both ends in the final inning, I can't say I was mad.

Root for the W, but when the L inevitably comes take solace in the silver lining so we don't cry ourselves to sleep. I can genuinely say I was mad yesterday, but after moving through my stages of grief, I have that silver lining to explain to all my baseball fan friends that though it looks like I took nothing but Ls the past couple days, really they are Ws. I'm practically addicted to copium at this point. 

For this horse race, at least Bumgarner/Gallen/Weaver all currently in rotation.

The final 5 series for each team:

Them: at HOU, vs ATL, vs LAD, at SF, vs COL   (Road Rockies are 24-51)

Us: at BOS, at PHI, vs TEX, vs BOS, at TOR    (Jays could go either way for 160-162 in terms of being excited or depressed)

Mountcastle a chance to fatten numbers with Rangers pitching.   Adolis OPS only 550 this month, but his banked lead is still plenty.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

D-Backs won tonight so we pick up a game on them. Assuming we own the tie break that gives us a 2 game lead with 14 to go. Bring it home boys. Bring it home. 

I would call it a 1 1/4 lead because if they gain a game on us, we get the top pick but if they gain a game and a half on us, they would get the top pick. That could happen if either team has a game that gets rained out and not made up. Not likely but possible.

4 minutes ago, Greenpastures23 said:

This team just doesn't seem better than the 2018 Orioles

The 2018 team was outscored by 270 runs.  The 2021 team has been outscored by 274 runs and we have games to go.

So yes, you can make a case that the on the field product is inferior to the 2018 team.  But hey, the payroll is a lot lower.