Rule 5 list

glenn__davis

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’d protect Grenier. We’re too thin at SS just to risk losing him. The HR power has came on this year. He’s a UTIL guy at worst. 

He's not a ML player at worst.   I'm glad to see his progress this year but the bat is still a huge question mark.   He's what, 24, in AA, and a good year in is in the low 700's OPS.    There is no guarantee he hits any better than Mason McCoy in AAA.   Maybe worse.    I would probably protect him because we should have the space but does a ML team really take Grenier in a rule 5?

BTW, I think there is a very longshot chance that Grenier can be a starting SS/2B someday but the chances are slim and remote.   Normally, I wouldn't protect a guy who projects as a utility IF but in this case I probably would.

• Upvote 2

Just now, RZNJ said:

He's not a ML player at worst.   I'm glad to see his progress this year but the bat is still a huge question mark.   He's what, 24, in AA, and a good year in is in the low 700's OPS.    There is no guarantee he hits any better than Mason McCoy in AAA.   Maybe worse.    I would probably protect him because we should have the space but does a ML team really take Grenier in a rule 5?

Grenier is a MLB defensive SS. McCoy might struggle even at 2B. Grenier is essentially Ritchie Martin from 3 years ago just with having options. 

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

BTW, I think there is a very longshot chance that Grenier can be a starting SS/2B someday but the chances are slim and remote.   Normally, I wouldn't protect a guy who projects as a utility IF but in this case I probably would.

Grenier had one plasma hot stretch this season.  Other than that I think his line is pretty much what we have seen from him before.  Reminds me a bit of that stretch McKenna had.

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Grenier is a MLB defensive SS. McCoy might struggle even at 2B. Grenier is essentially Ritchie Martin from 3 years ago just with having options. 

Richie Martin had a pretty good year in AA the year we chose him.   .300 Average.  .807 OPS.   As it is, I am ready to release Martin.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Grenier had one plasma hot stretch this season.  Other than that I think his line is pretty much what we have seen from him before.  Reminds me a bit of that stretch McKenna had.

Mckenna hit .377 in half year in Frederick.   Grenier should dream of a stretch like that.   McKenna is OPSing over 1.000 this year in Norfolk.   Again, that's a stretch Grenier can dream on.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Mckenna hit .377 in half year in Frederick.   Grenier should dream of a stretch like that.   McKenna is OPSing over 1.000 this year in Norfolk.   Again, that's a stretch Grenier can dream on.

Not every team is loaded with Superstars. McKenna and Grenier, with AAA ABs, are both players that fit on a 26 man roster. 

You don’t just give away MIF depth like Grenier when we are thin at the top of our system. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not every team is loaded with Superstars. McKenna and Grenier, with AAA ABs, are both players that fit on a 26 man roster. 

You don’t just give away MIF depth like Grenier when we are thin at the top of our system. 

First off, I'm not giving him away.   I think it's questionable if a team would take him in the Rule 5.   All I said were facts.  Grenier has never had a stretch like McKenna had in the minors and he also hasn't had as good a season as Richie Martin had in AA when we chose him in the Rule 5.     I also said I would probably protect Grenier.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

First off, I'm not giving him away.   I think it's questionable if a team would take him in the Rule 5.   All I said were facts.  Grenier has never had a stretch like McKenna had in the minors and he also hasn't had as good a season as Richie Martin had in AA when we chose him in the Rule 5.     I also said I would probably protect Grenier.

Martin put up and .807 OPS in the Texas league. I wouldn’t discount Greiner’s .731 OPS in the Eastern League. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Martin put up and .807 OPS in the Texas league. I wouldn’t discount Greiner’s .731 OPS in the Eastern League. 

I'm not discounting anything.  He's made some progress this year.   A little more power and advanced another level.   He strikes out way too much but maybe he can overcome that.   Apparently he's at least average at SS, maybe better.    It may be that he can contribute to a ML team but if all he projects to be is a utility guy, I don't think that's a guy you cry over losing.

• 2 weeks later...

My current take:

Smith, Vavra, Bradish, and DL Hall are the no-brainers.

Neustrom, Bautista, Adam Hall and Vespi are on the bubble. I could see a team taking a chance on any of them. 

Knight, Dorrian, Grenier, Peralta, Sedlock, Bishop, etc. are out. All have some potential, but I don't think any team will take them.

Putting Adam Hall even on the bubble is probably unpopular, but leaving him off makes me nervous because I still think he'll put it together. A team could take a chance on him despite poor performance like Detroit did with Akil Baddoo this year.

4 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

My current take:

Smith, Vavra, Bradish, and DL Hall are the no-brainers.

Neustrom, Bautista, Adam Hall and Vespi are on the bubble. I could see a team taking a chance on any of them. 

Knight, Dorrian, Grenier, Peralta, Sedlock, Bishop, etc. are out. All have some potential, but I don't think any team will take them.

Putting Adam Hall even on the bubble is probably unpopular, but leaving him off makes me nervous because I still think he'll put it together. A team could take a chance on him despite poor performance like Detroit did with Akil Baddoo this year.

Neustrom is not on the bubble.  He has a good chance of making the O's out of ST as a platoon corner OF.   Especially if Hays continues to struggle vs righties. Bautista is just the kind of big arm that Elias wants coming out of the pen.  I am not saying he is ready but he is someone that Elias will probably protect.

I agree on DL Hall, Bradish,  and Vavra.

I am waiting to see how Dorrian, Knight, Smith and Bishop finish the season.

Adam Hall, Sedlock, Peralta seem less likely to be protected.   Grenier is a big question for me.  He is supposed to be ML ready defensively and he has a nice 340 OBP at Bowie but he is not impressive as an overall offensive player.  Looks like a good UIF which the O's need but he still needs to prove his offense at AAA. He could get taken if not protected.