I'm predicting Hyde will resign soon

GuidoSarducci

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

John Means: 2.90 ERA Severino (13 starts)/6.98 Wynns (3)

Matt Harvey: 4.46 (17)/9.13(6)

Jorge Lopez: 6.03 (15)/7.00 (9)

Keegan Akin: 6.75 (14)/11.74 (3)

Those are the four pitchers who’ve thrown the most innings and made the most starts on our staff.   The next two years in terms of starts are Zimmermann and Kremer, both of whom did better with Wynns but he only caught them once each.   

I’m not saying these are great stats, but it’s all there really is.  And if they don’t prove Severino is better, but they sure as hell don’t suggest the team would do better if Wynns were behind the dish more.   

Much too small a sample size for Wynns, IMO.  He's been relegated to a backup role, like today's day game after a night game, and just doesn't get that much time behind the plate. I don't believe the numerous bad outings by Harvey, Lopez and Akin are attributable to Wynns (or to Severino), and for me that leaves three Means starts pitching to Wynns you'd have to look at and try to draw an inference from.

These numbers definitely don't tell you that Wynns is a better catcher. Watching both of them catch the ball (and in Severino's case I use the term loosely, to borrow a phrase from Mr. Pomfritt), throw to bases and try to tag runners tells me that Wynns is a much better catcher. As to calling pitches and working with the pitching staff, I have no idea, and the numbers don't help.

8 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Much too small a sample size for Wynns, IMO.  He's been relegated to a backup role, like today's day game after a night game, and just doesn't get that much time behind the plate. I don't believe the numerous bad outings by Harvey, Lopez and Akin are attributable to Wynns (or to Severino), and for me that leaves three Means starts pitching to Wynns you'd have to look at and try to draw an inference from.

These numbers definitely don't tell you that Wynns is a better catcher. Watching both of them catch the ball (and in Severino's case I use the term loosely, to borrow a phrase from Mr. Pomfritt), throw to bases and try to tag runners tells me that Wynns is a much better catcher. As to calling pitches and working with the pitching staff, I have no idea, and the numbers don't help.

As I’ve mentioned a few times, I don’t like Wynn’s shifting of his body as the pitcher is in his windup/delivery.   It’s probably good for blocking pitches but it’s not good for giving the pitcher a stationary target at which to throw.   

4 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

No, they’re not. Wynns wasn’t even on the team when Severino was catching good Matt Harvey who turned into bad Matt Harvey before Wynns got there. Guess who Wynns caught five times in June when he was already trending down. Did Wynns make him pitch worse, or was he already pitching bad when Wynns got there? 

Catching ERA stats are not representative of much more than opportunity. Severino’s numbers in every defensive metric don’t support the idea he’s a good option. The best thing I can say for him Is he’s provided positive rWAR (0.9), but with -8 DRS it ain’t because of defense. 

The point these stats show is that the catcher has only very minor influence on a pitchers ERA

Wynns has better defense yes.  I don’t think people are going to argue that point.

There’s probably a half dozen or so gold glove level.catchers in the minors who aren’t playing in the majors because they can’t hit.

Both fWAR and bWAR support the notion that Severino helps the Os win more games than Wynns.

2 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

The point these stats show is that the catcher has only very minor influence on a pitchers ERA

Wynns has better defense yes.  I don’t think people are going to argue that point.

There’s probably a half dozen or so gold glove level.catchers in the minors who aren’t playing in the majors because they can’t hit.

Both fWAR and bWAR support the notion that Severino helps the Os win more games than Wynns.

You predicted he would resign soon.   What is soon?   What is the statue of limitations on your prediction?

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

As I’ve mentioned a few times, I don’t like Wynn’s shifting of his body as the pitcher is in his windup/delivery.   It’s probably good for blocking pitches but it’s not good for giving the pitcher a stationary target at which to throw.   

To put a bow in our discussion, I agree with you about the shifting. Wynns is no big upgrade at catcher. He clearly can’t hit a lick. He’s been above average throwing out runners. 

My big gripe w/ Severino has been the passed balls, but it’s clear they’re both placeholders until AR arrives. Hopefully, the team can sign a defense first back up until they bring up Rutschman.

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

To put a bow in our discussion, I agree with you about the shifting. Wynns is no big upgrade at catcher. He clearly can’t hit a lick. He’s been above average throwing out runners. 

My big gripe w/ Severino has been the passed balls, but it’s clear they’re both placeholders until AR arrives. Hopefully, the team can sign a defense first back up until they bring up Rutschman.

They have a defense first backup they can promote.

6 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

He needs more “seasoning” is the company line. 

That's a high degree of pitiful if they are gaming Maverick's service clock.

He's not going to hit, I don't think more time in the minors is going to help.

Be nice to have a backup catcher that you can bring in to pinch run.

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's a high degree of pitiful if they are gaming Maverick's service clock.

He's not going to hit, I don't think more time in the minors is going to help.

Be nice to have a backup catcher that you can bring in to pinch run.

I thought you were referring jokingly to AR. I’m not sure even the Orioles would sink to the level of gaming non prospect’s clocks. 

43 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I mean, I can’t disagree about Severino’s poor defense.   I’m really looking forward to the upgrade next year.