Mountcastle talk

MijiT88

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

Thank you for this pertinent and insightful bit of wisdom. I am sure the Orioles fans reading this had no idea that Jay Gibbons dabbled with PEDs.

You can feel free to disagree but if I am comparing two players and I know one of them used PEDs I think that is pertinent information.

I did not endorse or condemn his behavior, merely acknowledged it.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll admit I don't recall much in the way of specifics when it comes to Gibbons in the batter's box.

Mountcastle just seems more like a pure hitter to me. It feels like he's smarter at the plate, has more opposite field approach, more athletic swing, bat speed for days, more - ahem - natural power, etc. On a closer look at Gibbons' numbers I guess I can see the comp statistically speaking. I just think the couple of seasons Gibbons was good feels like Mountcastle's floor still. 

But of course that could be wishful thinking.

Mostly Gibbons was just so bad after only 5 years in the bigs and I have a hard time seeing that be the case for Mountcastle. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You can feel free to disagree but if I am comparing two players and I know one of them used PEDs I think that is pertinent information.

I did not endorse or condemn his behavior, merely acknowledged it.

Nobody was comparing them as players. I merely said that Mountcastle's batting line was similar in the first 150 games. They weren't particularly similar as players.

Gibbons was a better outfielder, for one thing.

I think Mountcastle is a better pure hitter, his approach has been great recently. It isn't like when he was at Bowie and we were celebrating every walk.

12 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Mayo names Mountcastle the second hottest rookie of the last two weeks.

Great, Dalbec is #1.  I'm sure he's annoying AF to look at, too.  Dude plays for the Sox so he has to be.

Nice to see RMC get mentioned but I dunno.  I look at Wander Franco's streak and wander (see what I did there?) how he's not #1.  I have a feeling he'd have the ROY award locked up if they brought him up earlier.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Mayo names Mountcastle the second hottest rookie of the last two weeks.

Funny that number one on that list is Bobby Dalbec. When I was looking up Mountcastle’s defense at baseball savant, I mentioned that he was 31st out of 37 first baseman defensively with -2 outs above average. I also mentioned casually that Vlad Junior was 36th at -4 outs above average. Well, Bobby Dalbec is the worst first baseman in major league baseball At -7 outs above average.

Edited by Philip
  • Upvote 1

Mountcastle's season is a real delight. It's extremely heartening that he was able to turn his season around after such a horrible start. His raw power is very impressive. If he can continue to barrel the ball he has a chance to put up some impressive home run numbers as he gets stronger. His Achilles heal will probably remain his low walk rate. 

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Mountcastle just seems more like a pure hitter to me. It feels like he's smarter at the plate, has more opposite field approach, more athletic swing, bat speed for days, more - ahem - natural power, etc. On a closer look at Gibbons' numbers I guess I can see the comp statistically speaking. I just think the couple of seasons Gibbons was good feels like Mountcastle's floor still. 

But of course that could be wishful thinking.

Mostly Gibbons was just so bad after only 5 years in the bigs and I have a hard time seeing that be the case for Mountcastle. 

Injuries had a lot to do with Gibbons’ decline.   Hopefully Mountcastle won’t have that problem.   I agree he has better bat to ball skills too.