Eduardo Rodriguez

Pickles

6 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Wait what?  He's only played for the Red Sox.  Are you and Philip thinking of someone else?  

Zach Davies - also a 28/29 year old ex-O?  I would not target him.  He's having a bad year, and I don't see a reason that he'll bounce back.    

18 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Zach Davies would be a great target as well.   He's having an off season but he's a good buy low type of option.   He turns 29 next February and was good the two previous years.    He's having a down year but it's not terrible by any means.

He doesn’t miss bats, throws strikes at a well below average rate, has a below average K rate, a high walk rate and his HR rate is high.

That being said, he has been better in the past and will usually take the ball every 5th day.  

My guess is that he would be bad in the AL, especially in our park and in our division.  

I probably would rather have Harvey back but admit it’s close.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He doesn’t miss bats, throws strikes at a well below average rate, has a below average K rate, a high walk rate and his HR rate is high.

That being said, he has been better in the past and will usually take the ball every 5th day.  

My guess is that he would be bad in the AL, especially in our park and in our division.  

I probably would rather have Harvey back but admit it’s close.

Matt Harvey vs. Zach Davies.   Close?    lol

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Matt Harvey vs. Zach Davies.   Close?    lol

Harvey has a 4.56 FIP this year and Davies is over 5.

Neither misses bats well…Harvey throws more strikes.

We have no idea how Davies will do in this park and this league.  He has NL pitcher, pitch in a big park written all over him.  And to be fair, Harvey does as well but Harvey has some peripherals that favor him.

Davies obviously has the advantage in recent history but we are paying for the future and his peripherals don’t predict him to be that good moving forward.  

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Harvey has a 4.56 FIP this year and Davies is over 5.

Neither misses bats well…Harvey throws more strikes.

We have no idea how Davies will do in this park and this league.  He has NL pitcher, pitch in a big park written all over him.  And to be fair, Harvey does as well but Harvey has some peripherals that favor him.

Davies obviously has the advantage in recent history but we are paying for the future and his peripherals don’t predict him to be that good moving forward.  

Is Miller Park considered a big park?

Answer to my own question.   A quick google finds Miller Park where Davies spent most of his career as one of the best hitter's park and one of the most homer friendly parks in baseball.   Scratch that "needs to pitch in a big park" from your argument.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Is Miller Park considered a big park?

Not sure but it doesn’t really matter that much to me.  He is 2 years removed from pitching there and his 2019 FIP (basically the same as Harvey’s FIP this year) was 1 run higher than his actual ERA.  

If we signed him, he would be 3 years older than the last time he pitched there by the time he throws a pitch here.  A lot can happen to a pitchers arm/shoulder in that time period.

Now, I admit I haven’t looked deeper into his stats in terms of spin rate and stuff like that to know if there are any signs of a drop off there as well but my thoughts are that we shouldn’t be considering him.  I don’t think we should consider Harvey either but if it’s between the 2, I’m not sure I wouldn’t take Harvey.  

Either option is poor though, at least in our park and our division.  Davies would be the guy I would Choose if I were in a pitcher friendly park, particularly in the NL.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Not sure but it doesn’t really matter that much to me.  He is 2 years removed from pitching there and his 2019 FIP (basically the same as Harvey’s FIP this year) was 1 run higher than his actual ERA.  

If we signed him, he would be 3 years older than the last time he pitched there by the time he throws a pitch here.  A lot can happen to a pitchers arm/shoulder in that time period.

Now, I admit I haven’t looked deeper into his stats in terms of spin rate and stuff like that to know if there are any signs of a drop off there as well but my thoughts are that we shouldn’t be considering him.  I don’t think we should consider Harvey either but if it’s between the 2, I’m not sure I wouldn’t take Harvey.  

Either option is poor though, at least in our park and our division.  Davies would be the guy I would Choose if I were in a pitcher friendly park, particularly in the NL.

Of course.   I said he's having a down year.    You said he is a big park pitcher.   He pitched most of his career in homer friendly park but, of course, you don't care.   You are a funny guy.   I understand that FIP has these two guys as much closer in some years but Davies has been pretty consistent in his career, pitched in an extreme hitter's park already, has consistent ERA+ numbers over 100 (which Harvey hasn't sniffed in years).   I see that you can make a case for Harvey.  It's closer than I thought.   However, arguing with you is a waste of time because when someone brings up a good counterpoint you just say "I don't care".   You are what you are.   

• Downvote 1

I’m amazed to learn that Rodriguez will only be 29 next year.   It seems like forever ago that we traded him away.   

I’d be hesitant to give him 5 years given his injury history.   He is relatively young though.   

We are going to have to overpay for any pitcher we acquire, whether in terms of years, AAV or both.   We’re just not an attractive destination.   

9 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

Exactly. I'd give ERod 5/75 easily. I'd love to sign Correa or Simmons or trade for Chapman or Glasnow.

But it's hard to get into playing armchair GM when I suspect this offseason will look a lot like last year when Matt Harvey, King Felix, and Maikel Franco were the biggest ML moves.

I'm inclined to agree with your take on the offseason.

However, I think this offseason might be...MIGHT BE...a bit different.  IMO, Elias can't bring up AR and G-Rod next year on a similar roster to this years.  You gotta have some guys around these two that can actually play.