Eduardo Rodriguez

Pickles

20 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Ehhhh.  There's essentially one: Get lucky and have the guy outperform.

Nah..there are a lot of things that can be good..as was and has been discussed with the Werth/Nats signing.  There can be intangible things that matter a lot more than money.

I don’t like free agency in general but when you have been garbage for so long, bringing in real talent, even on an overpay, can have a lot of potential upside that has nothing to do with the players production.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Nah..there are a lot of things that can be good..as was and has been discussed with the Werth/Nats signing.  There can be intangible things that matter a lot more than money.

I don’t like free agency in general but when you have been garbage for so long, bringing in real talent, even on an overpay, can have a lot of potential upside that has nothing to do with the players production.

Shame we couldn't keep Davis a few more years... huh?

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You've come full circle in fifteen years.  I'll give you that.

If your 2006 self could see you advocating- essentially- for overpaying in FA for "veteranosity" to win that magical 63rd game, it would be interesting.

The thing is, I agree with you.  There's a time and a place for everything.  Stabilizing the rotation would have a synergistic effect.  And we must be smart about the target.  Hence this thread.

It will be interesting to see what Eduardo gets.  But he's a guy that makes sense to me.  Few others do. To the point, that instead of go after consolation prizes, I probably would just keep running through the Harveys of the world.

1 minute ago, Barnaby Graves said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see him get 5/80 or more.

Some wealthy team would be more than happy to throw that at him thinking he's got a pretty good chance of being that #3 for them.  And if he doesn't have the durability, that's a cost of doing business.

I wouldn't beat that offer.

23 minutes ago, Pickles said:

You've come full circle in fifteen years.  I'll give you that.

If your 2006 self could see you advocating- essentially- for overpaying in FA for "veteranosity" to win that magical 63rd game, it would be interesting.

The thing is, I agree with you.  There's a time and a place for everything.  Stabilizing the rotation would have a synergistic effect.  And we must be smart about the target.  Hence this thread.

It will be interesting to see what Eduardo gets.  But he's a guy that makes sense to me.  Few others do. To the point, that instead of go after consolation prizes, I probably would just keep running through the Harveys of the world.

I have always been fine with FA for the right player..it’s genuinely a terrible thing to pay for though.

I have also always believed that young players need winning vets around them, to teach them.  I have advocated for guys like David Price and Kris Bryant.  I think they would be big helps.

Also, if you are going to overpay for a FA, at least make it a really good one.  You don’t overpay (or even sign) the Gallardos of the world and unfortunately, those are the types of guys they normally go after.

I think this is the exact offseason that we should be signing two free agent pitchers of Eduardo Rodriguez's caliber to 3 -4 year contracts, if there are two on the market that fit that description.  That would put them right smack dab in the middle of when we hope to be competing for the playoffs. 

In my opinion, a rotation of Grayson, Means and two solid #3's while our position player prospects are coming up to fill out the rest of the line-up would really make us in the conversation for the playoffs.

22 hours ago, higgybaby said:

I think this is the exact offseason that we should be signing two free agent pitchers of Eduardo Rodriguez's caliber to 3 -4 year contracts, if there are two on the market that fit that description.  That would put them right smack dab in the middle of when we hope to be competing for the playoffs. 

In my opinion, a rotation of Grayson, Means and two solid #3's while our position player prospects are coming up to fill out the rest of the line-up would really make us in the conversation for the playoffs.

What if they turn out like Cobb and Jimenez?  What does that do to our rebuild?

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

No, no, no.

This team can eat two roster spots and 150 million and have no adverse effects. 

The problem is ownership seems to let bad free agent signings affect them instead of just moving on. Free agents signings and trades aren't always going to work out, but as a franchise you need to keep moving along and get better.

And the worst free agent signing in Orioles history (you know who) was almost certainly a result of ownership meddling. Let the baseball people do their job and more Importantly get better at player development. Then you don't feel the need to sign a Cobb or Ubaldo and watch it blow up in your face.