Baumann to start tomorrow? Nope. Lowther. Baumann promoted on Tuesday!

MurphDogg

10 hours ago, waroriole said:

Lowther has been awful at AAA. 6.53 ERA, 33 hits and 16 BB in 30.1 IP. 

Are we concerned that the Dbacks are getting too close? Wanna stop the good baseball the team played this weekend?

I was hoping for Baumann, as I am going to the game. 

But Lowther had been hurt and has only been active since August 16th. 

Really, both of them should be in the rotation over the final month of the season.

9 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I was hoping for Baumann, as I am going to the game. 

But Lowther had been hurt and has only been active since August 16th. 

Really, both of them should be in the rotation over the final month of the season.

You think Lowther is better than A Wells? Not that I think Wells moves the needle, but I had heard he had the more recent success with Norfolk. 

Maybe they use both tonight. Maybe it’s throw them out there to see who’s on the chopping block. They can still rotate Baumann in before the end of the season. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, waroriole said:

Lowther has been awful at AAA. 6.53 ERA, 33 hits and 16 BB in 30.1 IP. 

Are we concerned that the Dbacks are getting too close? Wanna stop the good baseball the team played this weekend?

Yes, to both questions. How to do that? Bring up a guy who clearly doesn’t deserve it.

It's a strange call since Lowther has not pitched particularly well since coming back from injury, is on four days rest vs Baumann who is on 5 days rest and has pitched really well of late. Both are on the 40-man and Baumann actually has more AAA experience at this point so it does not appear the Orioles are making decisions based on the best candidate. 

Unless something is bothering Baumann, this one doesn't make much sense unless the Orioles are concerned over the Dbacks catching them. 

As for Lowther, this has been a lost year of sorts but don't give up on him. If he can develop a better changeup this offseason he can still end up a nice rotation piece. 

Credit where it’s due.   Lowther was excellent today.   Had the hitters hitting pop ups and sky high medium depth fly balls all day.   He made one mistake on a 3-1 pitch to Alberto that he grooved.    Otherwise he stayed out of the middle of the plate for the most part.   

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Credit where it’s due.   Lowther was excellent today.   Had the hitters hitting pop ups and sky high medium depth fly balls all day.   He made one mistake on a 3-1 pitch to Alberto that he grooved.    Otherwise he stayed out of the middle of the plate for the most part.   

Yeah, he looked decent. When he threw that pitch to Alberto, I said "oh crap"

Lowther's curveball was a real weapon today and had good bite, much better than earlier in the year. He looks like he's getting away from that slurvvy offering with less horizontal movement and more vertical movement which should play better. His change was ok though it doesn't have a ton of movement, but he did do a pretty good job of keeping it low. He'll need to be careful with his fastball though it plays up a bit more than his 90 MPH velocity since his release point is so close to home. Still, he didn't get much swing and miss with it which means he'll need to have command of that pitch to have success.

• Upvote 1

Lowther's pitches against KC:
Fastball: https://www.mlb.com/video/00u7jzgkdtP9kH55c356/reels/lowther-fastball-against-kc
He stayed off the barrel but not get a lot of swing and miss. Commanded it well overall.

Curveball: https://www.mlb.com/video/00u7jzgkdtP9kH55c356/reels/lowther-curveball-against-kc
His best pitch overall. No hard contact and the most swing and miss. Looks like he took the slurvvy portion out of the pitch and it plays better.

Changeup: https://www.mlb.com/video/00u7jzgkdtP9kH55c356/reels/lowther-changeup-JceRnf
His location was pretty good with the pitch, particularly since it has below average movement.