Tuesday September 21: a bullpen game in Philly on the last full day of summer

SteveA

So if we survive the 9th we will get to take advantage of the clause in the extra inning rule that says if the pitcher is in the spot in the batting order that made the last out, the guy before him in the offer can be the courtesy runner.

Mountcastle was batting for the pitcher spot when he made the last out, so Wells would normally be the courtesy runner, but Hyde will have the option of going back one spot in the order and using Gutierrez instead.  Which I imagine he will.

8 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Only it’s not. My team in college used to run that play and we had great success doing it. Know what the difference is? These guys are major league players and they don’t miss throws at that distance. And a 75% rate of being thrown out is not a good risk. 

75% is bad if you're giving up an extra out, but they're getting 1 out either way here. The difference is where the runner ends up afterwards, first or third. I'd take a 25% chance to score if the downside is just moving back two bases.

2 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

75% is bad if you're giving up an extra out, but they're getting 1 out either way here. The difference is where the runner ends up afterwards, first or third. I'd take a 25% chance to score if the downside is just moving back two bases.

Ok then