Ramon Urias: underrated bright spot

Frobby

2 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

My memory may be selective here, but the thing I liked most about Urias was that he was not a rally killer.  He hit well with runners on base and when he got out, they were productive outs (advancing a runner).  He didn't strike out or ground into a lot of double plays.  He didn't hit with a lot of power, but he could hit to all parts of the field and knew how to punch to the opposite field.  We had far too many guys on the roster that would kill rallies, Urias was not one.  

He did hit much better with runners in scoring position.

I wouldn't read much into it but it was the case.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He did hit much better with runners in scoring position.

I wouldn't read much into it but it was the case.

I had to check my memory.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/u/uriasra01-bat.shtml#all_batting_situational

Ramon had 60 plate appearances this year in which he could have hit into a double play.  He hit into 3.  That is a GIDP rate of 5% (league average was 9.8%).  

Ramon had a total of 197 runners on base in his at bats this year.  33 of those runners scored in his at bats.  That is a BRS% of 16.8% (league average was 14.3%).

Ramon came up to the plate with a productive out opportunity 17 times and was successful on just 2 of them.  That is a rate of 11.8% (league average was 28.1%.

So, my memory was sharp when I said he didn't GIDP often and he hit well with RISP, but it failed me when I said that he had productive outs.  He didn't have many.

• Thanks 1

So, I just came back from July, 2022 from the time machine, and wow - things turn out interesting.  Who knew Ortiz would be our starting 2Bman already?  Westburg just got called up to play SS unless they switch him and Ortiz, and our 3Bman... well, I'm not permitted to say since it might affect the space-time continuum.  

Just now, Ruzious said:

So, I just came back from July, 2022 from the time machine, and wow - things turn out interesting.  Who knew Ortiz would be our starting 2Bman already?  Westburg just got called up to play SS unless they switch him and Ortiz, and our 3Bman... well, I'm not permitted to say since it might affect the space-time continuum.  

It's Ryan Ripken isnt' it?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

It’s not Manny again, is it?

18 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Why is that? Based on 2 WAR in 85 games (262 AB's), 2-2.5 WAR in a full season seems pretty conservative unless you believe he somehow played over his head. His bat and glove looked pretty consistent so I don't see any reason to think that. I think perhaps you are still underrating him! 

I like Urias, I like taking a chance on a guy who's been playing in Mexico for a while and has interesting if also inflated numbers from the Mexican League.

But... he's 27.  He probably was playing over his head, or at least near his ceiling.  His career US minor league OPS is .775.  His 2.0 WAR includes a few runs of positive defensive value that's not reflected in the Statcast data.  He hit .279 in the majors, while his AAA batting average overall is .261.  Any time a player who was projected for minimal value was on pace for a 4+ WAR season you have to be a little skeptical of his ability to carry that forward, especially when he's at what's typically peak age.

Overall, he's a nice find.  Hopefully a decent role player for a while, or a starter if you otherwise have a hole.  But I think there's little chance he's going to be more than an average MLB player going forward.  The Orioles have a large number of upgrades to make and holes to fill before they're a respectable team, but having Urias puts second base pretty far down the priority list.

Urias and Mateo should both see plenty of ABs in the infield next year. I haven't fully given up on Jones either. I do like Urias' offensive skill set on a team that otherwise struggles with the OBP. His .361 OBP was the best on the team and in the non-Mullins division (Mullins OBP was .360), the next highest wasn't even close. The next highest after Mullins and Urias for anyone with at least 200 PA was Mancini at .326 (Gutierrez and Mateo were .327 and .328 respectively but in less plate appearances). 

I do like balance in a lineup and Urias offers some of that. I'm not convinced he's an everyday starter, yet, but would definitely give him ample chance to prove it in 2022. 

• 5 months later...