Interesting comments by Harvey on Orioles strength and conditioning staff

Tony-OH

Harvey said this about one of his injuries this year.

"The spring training thing, I’m about positive it had to do with a weight room thing. We tried a new core exercise, and then two days later, I blew my oblique out. So, it happened to be something that worked the oblique and I think it all adds up together, going from how I’ve never done that exercise to two days later I have a Grade 3 oblique strain. So, I think it just all kind of goes together."

Now don't get me wrong, Harvey could probably blow his elbow out opening a jar of peanut butter, but his comments were interesting none the less.

Harvey is a guy you gotta keep on the roster in the Orioles situation, in the one off chance he ever can stay healthy, but this is probably his last year.

Even if healthy, with EV and barrel rates over his career, you have to wonder if he'll ever be a guy you want in a high leverage situation in a close game.

• Upvote 2

• Tony-OH changed the title to Interesting comments by Harvey on Orioles strength and conditioning staff

My gut reaction... he's a professional athlete... those core exercises would have to have been mind-blowing to cause him an injury in 2 or 3 days.  If they had something to do with his injury, him being prone to getting injured so easily probably had a lot more to do with it.    Then again, I only play a doctor on the interwebs. 

• Haha 1

There may have been an issue with the training staff (e.g., I was irked that Zimmerman was injured in the weight room), but Harvey also blamed throwing a slider on another injury. I take what Harvey says about injuries with a grain of salt. A really big grain of salt. 

Ah, yes…publicly blame someone else. Maybe it was the exercise, maybe not but publicly dodging accountability for injuries always comes across as petty to me. Not to say it was Harvey’s fault or anything that he was injured…but as the edited for TV version of Forrest Gump says…It Happens. Still, come on buddy…don’t point fingers

King Charles VI of France thought he was made of glass.  I would say that's who Harvey could be compared to except Charles the VI was suffering from mental illness (glass delusion).  Obviously Harvey isn't, he just can't stay healthy.  I don't expect him to amount to anything at this point but if people want to give him one more try I'm okay with it.  I mean it's not like we're contending next year.

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Harvey said this about one of his injuries this year.

"The spring training thing, I’m about positive it had to do with a weight room thing. We tried a new core exercise, and then two days later, I blew my oblique out. So, it happened to be something that worked the oblique and I think it all adds up together, going from how I’ve never done that exercise to two days later I have a Grade 3 oblique strain. So, I think it just all kind of goes together."

Now don't get me wrong, Harvey could probably blow his elbow out opening a jar of peanut butter, but his comments were interesting none the less.

Harvey is a guy you gotta keep on the roster in the Orioles situation, in the one off chance he ever can stay healthy, but this is probably his last year.

Even if healthy, with EV and barrel rates over his career, you have to wonder if he'll ever be a guy you want in a high leverage situation in a close game.

Harvey could probably retire now and go directly into a rehab/strength and conditioning job because he has so much hands on training.

Tough crowd.  He simply sounded like he was explaining the injury and how he thought he got it.   He didn't sound like he was trying to throw someone under the bus.   It's been pretty frustrating for him and the fans.   I guess you have to give it one more try at this point because, the one time when he came up in September and was healthy he had the stuff of a top setup guy or closer.   Unfortunately, we've only seen it that one time but what the heck.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Tough crowd.  He simply sounded like he was explaining the injury and how he thought he got it.   He didn't sound like he was trying to throw someone under the bus.   It's been pretty frustrating for him and the fans.   I guess you have to give it one more try at this point because, the one time when he came up in September and was healthy he had the stuff of a top setup guy or closer.   Unfortunately, we've only seen it that one time but what the heck.

Well, Elias DID fire two guys in the strength and conditioning department last week.   And in addition to Harvey's perhaps misinterpreted comments, we also heard that Zimmerman's injury may have been related to weight room activities.

So putting 2 and 2 and 2 together MIGHT come up with 6 here, but it's all speculative I agree.

He's going to be a terrifying release if/when it happens, but what's the trope...the last thing a 100-loss team needs is a closer.

Cot's still lists him with 1/3 options remaining as of 1/21, and I think it was conserved as he hit 60-day DL in March when Franco signed and then was all injury rehab on/off all year.   So I guess he got his $575K and full year of service, but Club might still have Up/Down flexibility in 2022.

2 hours ago, oriole said:

Ah, yes…publicly blame someone else. Maybe it was the exercise, maybe not but publicly dodging accountability for injuries always comes across as petty to me. Not to say it was Harvey’s fault or anything that he was injured…but as the edited for TV version of Forrest Gump says…It Happens. Still, come on buddy…don’t point fingers

To be clear, he didn’t.   He said he thought the oblique injury might have come from a new exercise he tried.   He never blamed anyone, never said a word about anyone on the staff.   Never said anyone did anything wrong.   The thread title is a little misleading, because Harvey didn’t make any comments about the strength and conditioning staff.