2021 Orioles #3 Prospect - Coby Mayo - 3B

Tony-OH

My man! 

I got this one "right" insofar as Tony picked him 3rd too. That shouldn't be surprising since a fair amount of my own opinion comes from what Tony posts here.

That said, the kid walks, hits for power, and has a cannon for an arm. Seems like a prototypical future 3B assuming he can continue to grow. It'll be real interesting to see the pecking order a year from now when the list is #1 overall pick, Mayo, Henderson, amongst others.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

My man! 

I got this one "right" insofar as Tony picked him 3rd too. That shouldn't be surprising since a fair amount of my own opinion comes from what Tony posts here.

That said, the kid walks, hits for power, and has a cannon for an arm. Seems like a prototypical future 3B assuming he can continue to grow. It'll be real interesting to see the pecking order a year from now when the list is #1 overall pick, Mayo, Henderson, amongst others.

He's already 6'5", how much bigger do you want him to get?

• Haha 3

I have Gunnar Henderson #3 because he projects to play the more premium defensive position, and despite having less raw power than Mayo, showed some plate discipline at all levels that he played at this past season, which bodes well for Gunnar's ability to be a complete hitter.

I like Tony's #3 ranking for Mayo, though. Never seen an O's prospect in my lifetime with this kind of raw power at such an early age.

Most of the big publications will be lazy and rank Hall #3, but his injury risk profile and risk to be a reliever place him behind Gunnar, Mayo, and Cowser for me.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I have Gunnar Henderson #3 because he projects to play the more premium defensive position, and despite having less raw power than Mayo, showed some plate discipline at all levels that he played at this past season, which bodes well for Gunnar's ability to be a complete hitter.

It's a snapshot after a single season. No doubt Gunnar could be above Mayo next year just based on Gunnar's performance alone. That kid could be special. He did have an up and down season though, both at the plate and in the field. 

If he's like some of the kids I know, the offseason can be used to really clean up the game. Not sure that applies as they get older, but there's nothing stopping Gunnar from being our #1 prospect next year. It might not be likely, but it's possible.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Little too aggressive for me.   I have Cowser, Henderson and Hall ahead of Mayo.   I will have to seen more of Mayo before I rank him that high.   I am not real sure yet if he ranks ahead of Stowers and Kjerstad as a right fielder.

It's REALLY hard to rank Kjerstad almost anywhere, right? No matter where Tony puts him, there's real "risk" that Kjerstad either greatly overperforms or greatly underperforms. 

Stowers is on the doorstep of the majors, has power and plays good defense. Risk is k rate. You can justify putting him very high, I'd wager.

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

It's REALLY hard to rank Kjerstad almost anywhere, right? No matter where Tony puts him, there's real "risk" that Kjerstad either greatly overperforms or greatly underperforms. 

Stowers is on the doorstep of the majors, has power and plays good defense. Risk is k rate. You can justify putting him very high, I'd wager.

I'd have to rank Kjerstad based on his SEC  performance and that he seems to be getting passed his illness.   He was hyped as the best left-handed power college bat in the 2020 draft.  Everyone is being ranked on potential.

The only reason I bring up Kjerstad is  the suggestion that Mayo may move to RF at some point.

He’s a little high for me, especially if he doesn’t stick at 3B, but I like that Tony is so high on him. The bat definitely seems to be legit, I just wanna see him do it for a prolonged period. If he continues his hitting next year, he could be the #1 prospect in a year. 

29 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I'd have to rank Kjerstad based on his SEC  performance and that he seems to be getting passed his illness.   He was hyped as the best left-handed power college bat in the 2020 draft.  Everyone is being ranked on potential.

The only reason I bring up Kjerstad is  the suggestion that Mayo may move to RF at some point.

Yeah. It's an art more than a science, particularly with a guy like Kjerstad who we are really uninformed about.

I would not have ranked Mayo this high, but it’s defensible based on his strong offensive showing.   I think where you rank Mayo vs. Henderson depends on where you think they land defensively.   Henderson made a lot of errors this year, but I still read positive things about his defense at SS from two outside sources in the BA league rankings (he was ranked 1st in the Low A East, 9th in the Hi A East by BA).    Mayo seems like he’s got a decent defensive toolset at 3B, but needs work, plus let’s not forget he was coming off knee surgery.   So I think 2022 will tell us a lot about both players defensively.   Right now I’ve got Henderson a tick higher because of the position he plays, but that could change. Either way, it’s great to have two prospects like that outside our top two, along with Hall and Cowser.   That’s a really strong top six (I don’t think Stowers or Kjerstad will crack that group).