Is it time to sell high on Cole Sulser?

sportsfan8703

We all know relievers are volatile. He was worth 2.4 WAR last year with some pretty strong supporting numbers. It would be really nice if we could sell him for a #3/#4 type SP with a 2023 ETA.  Maybe even some depth at SS/3B, or younger relief arms. 

It seems that relievers are as valuable as ever now. Especially with the 26 man roster. I worry about hanging onto these guys too long and they end up blowing up ala Paul Fry because over being overworked. Plus pitchers get injured. 

He fits a lot of places. A contender trying to stay under the luxury cap, or an up and coming team for 2022 that doesn’t want to commit to a FA reliever. 

I think this is a perfect sell high situation. Maybe a guy like IF Taylor Walls from TB that is rock solid at SS and 2B, but is basically just a place holder until TB’s other more highly regarded prospects(Brian, Edwards, Jones) are ready for everyday roles. But a SP from somewhere would be ideal. I’m a big fan of flipping relievers for SP or everyday players. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

That would kind of defeat the  purpose of adding a couple of FA relievers this off season to sure up the pen.

You can do one and still do the other. This team has about a million miles to go to catch up with the rest of the division... improving by just locking into one idea isn't going to get them there.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think this is a perfect sell high situation. Maybe a guy like IF Taylor Walls from TB that is rock solid at SS and 2B, but is basically just a place holder until TB’s other more highly regarded prospects(Brian, Edwards, Jones) are ready for everyday roles. But a SP from somewhere would be ideal. I’m a big fan of flipping relievers for SP or everyday players. 

DIdn't Tampa give us Sulser for free? What makes you think they'd give up a prospect now? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Sure trade him but other teams are also aware of reliever volatility, as well as his age, plus the availability of many just like him. He won’t bring much back.

Philip is speaking truth here. Sulser had a good year but with a pitching staff like this one, it’s probably more valuable to keep him. Unless of course someone’s offering something good for him but the point is that probably won’t  happen. 

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays/2019/09/03/a-29-year-old-rays-rookie-engineers-his-own-baseball-love-story/

Growth mindset champion?   

Sure it is at least partly psychobabble, but I think Elias may be more likely to hold someone like this as a skilled practitioner of translating the data into improved on field results.   Like with Mullins, another half season or season of quality performance might help his market value as much as the decreasing service time quantity hinders it.

Hopefully the two MLB minimums he picked up in 2020/2021 got him through his student loans!

I think people are being a bit overly submissive of Culser in this thread.  He had a helluva year, and relievers are becoming more and more important.  Just look at all the reliever games the Braves have had this postseason - including last night and probably tonight.  Does he have a ton of trade value?  No, but I think he has some.    

• Upvote 1