Biggest snub of Tony’s top 30?

bpilktree

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I do think it's the most deep depth this organization as ever had and the top 9 are probably the best I've seen. The pitching is thin overall and while there are a lot of guys that can play SS, I'm not sure it has a legitimate impact SS in the system who can also be an impact defensively. 

It's going to be interesting when some of these guys are ready and play a lot of the same positions. Elias is quickly getting to the point where he's going to have to make those prospects for established players trades. That's a skill we don't know about him yet. 

So far his established players for prospects has been ok (Vavra, Pinto, Bradish as highlights) but we we need to find out how he develops a winning franchise while keeping a deep and talented system of replacements. 

For sure.  I have my doubts but a lot of that is more ownership driven than Elias.  Still, he needs to prove it, as you said.

I also agree with your other point and this is where depth can be a good and bad thing.  If you don’t trade from that depth and you just kind of wait for guys, you will be left holding a lot of chips that don’t have much, if any, value.  It’s up to Elias to identify who to keep and who to trade.

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Eyeballing the 2020 list, one guy who fell off was Brenan Hanifee.   Like Carter Baumler, he missed the year with TJ surgery.   Yet, Baumler held his 2020 position at 16, while Hanifee fell from no. 20 to completely off the list.   I couid argue that if Baumler wasn’t penalized, Hanifee shouldn’t be either, or at least, not to the extent of falling completely off the list.   

Now, one difference is that Baumler has recovered to the point where he’s scheduled for a normal offseason and spring training, whereas Hanifee only had his surgery on May 27 and probably won’t pitch until 2-3 months into next season.  And of course, Baumler was the higher rated prospect to begin with.   

I’m hoping that Hanifee re-emerges in May/June and is able to put together a solid season.   

Baumler has a much better upside than Hannifee who really never showed a great offspeed pitch and was on the list for upside purposes. The Orioles also switched him from his strength (hard sinking fastball) to a four seem guy and that was part of the reason his season was so bad before the injury. 

I also just don't have any information on Haniffee at all since he had surgery. He's not in instructs.

So yeah, Hannifee could be a guy who gets back on the scene this or even next if he can recover. There was always upside in Hannifee because of his build, but he'll be getting up in age prospects wise by the time he's fully healthy so that's when we'll see who he is on the mound and where he belongs on the prospect scene. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

For sure.  I have my doubts but a lot of that is more ownership driven than Elias.  Still, he needs to prove it, as you said.

I also agree with your other point and this is where depth can be a good and bad thing.  If you don’t trade from that depth and you just kind of wait for guys, you will be left holding a lot of chips that don’t have much, if any, value.  It’s up to Elias to identify who to keep and who to trade.

Funny, I read this post and I immediately thought of the Machado trade. LA was smart to deal Diaz despite having a ton of money invested in him. And Kremer whose stats looked better than his abilities. Not that I've given up on Kremer, but he reminds me of Brnovich with a better fastball...not a top notch prospect. Add in Pop, Bannon and the guy I've already forgotten and stubbornly refuse to look up, and they did a nice job of using their non-preferred prospects to get something of value in return. We obviously don't need a rental like Machado, but we could package some of our less internally beloved prospects to acquire a #3 starter who is arbitration eligible for example. What we really don't know about Elias is his ability to make shrewd trades and roster construction choices.