I'm already over this offseason.

Moose Milligan

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Of course they could have.  But should they have?

You tell me.

Matz in his 20s missed two years with TJ surgery,  had bone spar surgery, had ulnar nerve surgery.  missed time in 2020 with left shoulder discomfort.  Now he gets 4/44 for age 31-34.  Is that a good deal for the O's?

EdRod has a several knee problems and about a year ago caught Covid and ended up with a heart problem.   Now he gets 5/77m.  

Place your bets.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, forphase1 said:

Maybe.  But a quick search online shows that making 22M a year would put him at roughly the 30th highest paid player in MLB for 2022.  Granted there will still be signings that may push that down some and he probably isn't getting 22M in 2022 as contracts are usually lowest in the first year and what not.  But still shows where his salary fits, more or less.  Maybe top 30 isn't 'elite', but that's still a ton of money.  I know contracts for the top players have exploded, with the top getting close to 38 million.  Still, 22M is a ton of money.  I think this is a contract the team will regret making for that many years and at that kind of money, but only time will tell.

It’s definitely a ton of money, just saying it’s not the same as it used to be.  

These salaries are all relative.  The TV signed within the last few years is the richest ever for the sport.  The money is just pouring in and Toronto has a lot of cheap talent that allows them to spend like this.

I wouldn’t have given KG this contract but I understand why they did.  

6 hours ago, forphase1 said:

Maybe.  But a quick search online shows that making 22M a year would put him at roughly the 30th highest paid player in MLB for 2022.  Granted there will still be signings that may push that down some and he probably isn't getting 22M in 2022 as contracts are usually lowest in the first year and what not.  But still shows where his salary fits, more or less.  Maybe top 30 isn't 'elite', but that's still a ton of money.  I know contracts for the top players have exploded, with the top getting close to 38 million.  Still, 22M is a ton of money.  I think this is a contract the team will regret making for that many years and at that kind of money, but only time will tell.

Not to worry.

I hear that enormous contracts that don't pan out have no negative impact on the team that makes them.

On 11/27/2021 at 6:19 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Is there any evidence that time spent in AAA specifically is an indicator of success in the majors?

Well … then why not just bring them from high school/college right to the majors? Because 99% of them are not ready. I’d be interested to see an minor league innings count for the average MLB pitcher. 

Even if pitchers gain zero ability in AAA the extra time is still useful for evaluation so you don't promote guys based on a small sample size. Regardless, relative to the it is fair to say the pitchers were rushed last year. Anyone taking issue with that is making a subjective semantic argument instead of a factual disagreement. 

On 11/27/2021 at 6:19 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Is there any evidence that time spent in AAA specifically is an indicator of success in the majors?

Is there any evidence that says the opposite? I would think the burden of proof is on the side that wants to change standard operating procedures. 

Pitching wise we can’t afford just give up on all of Akin, Lowther, Zimmerman, Kremer, Baumann, and Wells. We really need to find out what we have. Yes, it’s been two years, but there was a shortened season with no milb, and last year they were all bounced around. This year we need to let them all fight it out in ST then stick the others in AAA. The guys in AAA should get at least 8-10 starts before getting called back up. Let players settle into a groove. 

13 hours ago, Barnaby Graves said:

I'm thoroughly and completely done with that shit, I was on board with it as a baseball theorycrafting exercise for a few years, but I am starting to get old and would like to see the Orioles win more than 60 games sometime in the next decade.  My hope continues to dwindle.

Cheers, friend.  Agree agree agree. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea but should he make it?  If I were him, I would be looking to go to SF or a team like that.

Good question/point.  If I were him, I'd want to go to SF too.  But the Orioles should be able to guarantee him a spot in the rotation when he returns.  The Giants likely could, but not as clear cut.