Meanwhile, back at the ranch…in Texas

HowAboutThat

5 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I think my Mountcastle man crush is more justified than your Kiner-Falefa man crush.

Oh no I don’t have a crush on the guy, I think he would feel some needs, if we could get him at a nontender price. That’s all. In one of my other comments I said that because we have first crack at every reject in baseball,Whoever we get by March is going to be better than whoever we have now, and I don’t particularly care who that is. My goal is to avoid giving money to washed-up pitching who cant, or ancient infielders who neither hit nor glove.

I would also very much like to give show money to some good players so we could perhaps maybe have a significantly better team this year.

But no, Not in love with the guy. 
and FWIW, Mountcastle had a .9 bWAR and IKF had a 3.7 bWAR. So your man-crush is apparently misplaced. 

Edited by Philip
Man crush comparison.

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

A bit more commentary from a Texas writer:

“Semien and Seager starting up the middle would displace Isiah Kiner-Falefa from shortstop, the position he manned all of 2021. Third base, where Kiner-Falefa won an American League Gold Glove in 2020, is expected to be filled by Josh Jung, the Rangers’ No. 2 prospect per MLB Pipeline, who would have made his MLB debut in ‘21 if not for injuries delaying his start to the Minor League season.”

So money aside, is IKF more versatile than Gutierrez? Does he hit better than Gutierrez?

If those answers are Yes, then if he is non-tendered, we should pick him up. 

I don’t think he is a better hitter, though he’s got the better numbers at the moment.  IDK has hit .265/.316/.354 in 1523 PA, after hitting .274/.344/.334 in the minors in 2062 PA.   Those are pretty consistent and I think we know exactly what IKF is as a hitter.  

Gutierrez has hit .234/.295/.319 in the majors, but has only 368 big league PA under his belt.   As a minor leaguer he hit .282/.344/.397 in 2494 PA.  Off that track record I think he will end up being the better hitter of the two of them.   But, it’s not a sure thing.  IKF is certainly more versatile.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think he is a better hitter, though he’s got the better numbers at the moment.  IDK has hit .265/.316/.354 in 1523 PA, after hitting .274/.344/.334 in the minors in 2062 PA.   Those are pretty consistent and I think we know exactly what IKF is as a hitter.  

Gutierrez has hit .234/.295/.319 in the majors, but has only 368 big league PA under his belt.   As a minor leaguer he hit .282/.344/.397 in 2494 PA.  Off that track record I think he will end up being the better hitter of the two of them.   But, it’s not a sure thing.  IKF is certainly more versatile.   

Let me stress that I’m not crawling into bed with IKF or anything like that. I mentioned him because Texas is splurging and stupid. He is now superfluous unless they value him as a back up catcher, if he’s nontendered He might be a worthwhile pick up for cheap.
When you were looking up his defense, and got very different results, were those results of my position? Because he seems to be an excellent third baseman?

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d rather roll roll the dice on Guiterrez and what we have in the system versus trading Tanner Scott or Jordan Westburg for INK

14 minutes ago, Philip said:

A bit more commentary from a Texas writer:

“Semien and Seager starting up the middle would displace Isiah Kiner-Falefa from shortstop, the position he manned all of 2021. Third base, where Kiner-Falefa won an American League Gold Glove in 2020, is expected to be filled by Josh Jung, the Rangers’ No. 2 prospect per MLB Pipeline, who would have made his MLB debut in ‘21 if not for injuries delaying his start to the Minor League season.”

So money aside, is IKF more versatile than Gutierrez? Does he hit better than Gutierrez?

If those answers are Yes, then if he is non-tendered, we should pick him up. 

So, Gutierrez is the standard?  K-F got his GG for 3rd base in the short-season - playing only 46 games at 3B.  And he's proven he can't hit like an MLB 3rd baseman needs to.  I mean, it's not the worst idea, but it's hardly something we should rush in to.    

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Philip said:

Let me stress that I’m not crawling into bed with IKF or anything like that. I mentioned him because Texas is splurging and stupid. He is now superfluous unless they value him as a back up catcher, if he’s nontendered He might be a worthwhile pick up for cheap.
When you were looking up his defense, and got very different results, were those results of my position? Because he seems to be an excellent third baseman?

The numbers I gave you were from 2021, when he played SS exclusively.   He does show up as a very good 3B in prior seasons per OAA (which is where he had his negative SS rating).   

19 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Bear that in mind as we hear people pining to make these kind of moves.

I have consistently been opposed to long free agent signings. Even Manny, who is maybe young enough to have a fully productive 10 years, I wouldn’t of signed him. Instead, I would’ve traded him two years earlier.

So I definitely think the Rangers are stupid: they’re not going to have a good team, but they are going to have an expensive team. They spent $500 million on two guys in the lineup but they still have some glaring spots in the rotation.

Better them than us.