Orioles Hire ‘Director of Strategy’ from Astros

justD

2 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

If he was a player valuation and economics guy then he was involved in payroll and contracts.

As a director of strategy I would think this signals that the Orioles are ready to spend money and want to do it with a director in place whose sole job it is to make sure the money works over the long term.

This is both a good and a bad sign.  Good because it signals a long term spending strategy.  Bad because WTF were they doing for the last two years?  Maybe their $10 million an off season budget didn't require that.

The conspiracy theorist in me says that someone higher than Elias saw the Lyles signing and told Elias he better get a player valuation guy because he clearly doesn't have the skills.

Player valuation could also signal a push toward using trades to acquire talent now that we have more assets. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I can't imagine in game strategy would be a full time job, plus isn't that the manager's job? Sounds more like Assistant GM to me based on the guy's background. 

First of all, I think you are right about what his job likely is.    But the other alternative I had in mind was not making actual in-game decisions, but gathering data and information in advance that would help the manager in making in-game decisions.   I won’t get into it further, since I doubt that’s the job.   Perhaps Elias will elaborate, or maybe some reporter can score an interview with Fournie and ask what he’ll be doing.  

This news from Roch perhaps illuminates what Fournie will be doing:

“Bill Wilkes shifts from advance scouting operations manager to major league strategy manager. Ben Sussman-Hyde is promoted from major league video/advance scouting coordinator to major league video/run creation strategist manager. Ryan Klimek goes from major league scouting coordinator to pitching strategy manager.”

Strategy, strategy, strategy.   But it seems this relates to advance scouting, no?   
https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/12/orioles-announce-2022-coaching-staff.html

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

“Bill Wilkes shifts from advance scouting operations manager to major league strategy manager. Ben Sussman-Hyde is promoted from major league video/advance scouting coordinator to major league video/run creation strategist manager. Ryan Klimek goes from major league scouting coordinator to pitching strategy manager.”

Strategy, strategy, strategy.   But it seems this relates to advance scouting, no?   
https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/12/orioles-announce-2022-coaching-staff.html

I disagree, I think they created an entire class of strategist managers across the organization.  You don't take a player valuation/ economics guy and make him a director for scouting unless you are a moron.  You make him a trade/ contracts manager with the only nexus being scouting goes into trade valuation.

I think he is the contracts guy.  A lot of teams will need more staff like this if they anticipate more complex payroll requirements in the new CBA.

25 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I disagree, I think they created an entire class of strategist managers across the organization.  You don't take a player valuation/ economics guy and make him a director for scouting unless you are a moron.  You make him a trade/ contracts manager with the only nexus being scouting goes into trade valuation.

I think he is the contracts guy.  A lot of teams will need more staff like this if they anticipate more complex payroll requirements in the new CBA.

Seems like a weird title for a contracts guy.   Hopefully we will get some elaboration at some point.   

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

These moves do appear to be rebranding the advance scouting work as "strategy". Not sure if they are related to Fournie's job. Would be weird to have a "major league strategy manager" and "director of strategy" both focused on scouting. One thing is clear, "strategy" is Mike's new favorite word.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Probably just made up a title to make it look like it was a promotion.  I think that’s the only way you can poach from another organization. 

This is what I was thinking about his title.

Good to see the organization building is continuing. To get an endorsement from Kevin Goldstein is huge to me.