Could the O's "eat" Contracts

MarCakes21

Several guys proposed to the Nats in an MLBTR article that the Nats have excess funds to eat contracts to reboot their transition.  I think there's a few that could maybe make sense for the O's.  Expensive, but have some room, and may bring the veteran presence and we might get prospects back with them:

Eugieno Suarez

Mike Moustakas

Dallas Kuechel

Jurikson Profar

Paul DeJong

We know what all of these guys are.  They may have some life in them, but many have declined.  However, does anyone think they have Orioles value?

Article for reference: 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/12/teams-that-want-to-dump-salary-should-contact-the-nationals.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We shouldn’t need prospects added to get DeJong.  DeJong represents a really good opportunity to obtain a solid player on a team friendly deal. 

This could be our new Hardy type deal.

I like this idea, as I’ve said before.   

I’d rather try Urias and Mateo at SS, rather then pay a vet big dollars after a down year. Let’s see what these guys can do. This isn’t like the past few years where we needed a Iglesias or a Galvis as a stop gap.

The biggest gamble we’re taking in 2022 is what do we have for 3B. We have Guiterrez and possible Odor, with Bannon behind them in AAA. Also, Nevin may be transitioning to 3B. That’s four 4 man roster spots and a ton of question marks, with a low probability of anyone of the four being long term answers.

The only moves I could see this team making is to sign Josh Harrison, and then to give a vet SP/RP a Matt Harvey type deal/situation. 

A reminder of DeJongs contract:

Paul DeJong ss
6 years/$26M (2018-23), plus 2024-25 options

• 6 years/$26M (2018-23), plus 2024-25 club options
    • signed extension with St. Louis 3/5/18
    • $1M signing bonus
    • 18:$1M, 19:$1.5M, 20:$1.5M, 21:$4M, 22:$6M, 23:$9M, 24:$12.5M club option ($2M buyout), 25:$15M club option ($1M buyout)
    • at signing, largest-ever contract for a player with less than one year of Major League service time
  • 1 year (2017)
    • contract selected by St. Louis 5/28/17
  • drafted by St. Louis 2015 (4-131) (Illinois State)
  • $200,000 signing bonus ($422,900 slot)
  • agent: CL Rocks
  • ML service: 4.127