Meoli on Rutschman’s swing adjustments

Frobby

Thanks for sharing. I will go read the whole article in a bit. A great breakdown of the point of contact, in relation to the hitter’s load. I’ve felt it made sense to let the ball travel, as that kept your head more stationary. It allows the body to maintain balance and have the proper finish, which allows the ball to be elevated. It also allows for more barrel control, in my opinion. It’s harder to hit a moving object when your head is moving as well.  

Some schools of thought want the hitter “out in front.” They talk about gaining ground. I find that very difficult to stay in rhythm and timing, and it leads to imbalance and lunging. Obviously, it works for some.

I remember looking at Adley’s swing in the Spring of 2021 and thinking it was a dramatic uppercut. I thought it was a terrible swing, honestly. I thought he would swing and miss a lot. But he changed things to be more on plane and the results speak for themselves. The elevation of the ball occurs at the finish when the hitter stays through the ball and finish high. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Thanks for sharing. I will go read the whole article in a bit. A great breakdown of the point of contact, in relation to the hitter’s load. I’ve felt it made sense to let the ball travel, as that kept your head more stationary. It allows the body to maintain balance and have the proper finish, which allows the ball to be elevated. It also allows for more barrel control, in my opinion. It’s harder to hit a moving object when your head is moving as well.  

Some schools of thought want the hitter “out in front.” They talk about gaining ground. I find that very difficult to stay in rhythm and timing, and it leads to imbalance and lunging. Obviously, it works for some.

I remember looking at Adley’s swing in the Spring of 2021 and thinking it was a dramatic uppercut. I thought it was a terrible swing, honestly. I thought he would swing and miss a lot. But he changed things to be more on plane and the results speak for themselves. The elevation of the ball occurs at the finish when the hitter stays through the ball and finish high. 

Yes, if you recall I was mentioning the pronounced upper cut and his inability to get to inside pitches in spring training and early in the season. It was clear he made swing adjustments and he covered that inside holes which led to pitches getting him out with offspeed down and away. It was a constant adjustment year for him which is good, because it will be magnified at the major league level.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Yes, if you recall I was mentioning the pronounced upper cut and his inability to get to inside pitches in spring training and early in the season. It was clear he made swing adjustments and he covered that inside holes which led to pitches getting him out with offspeed down and away. It was a constant adjustment year for him which is good, because it will be magnified at the major league level.

Yep, I remember you saying as much. A great adjustment like this gets me excited for the future of our PD group. They took a the #1 prospect, and made him better. Much better.

I hope some folks understand now why they did not bring him up last June as many fans were clamoring for. It takes time. This is how winning organizations are built. 

4 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Yep, I remember you saying as much. A great adjustment like this gets me excited for the future of our PD group. They took a the #1 prospect, and made him better. Much better.

I hope some folks understand now why they did not bring him up last June as many fans were clamoring for. It takes time. This is how winning organizations are built. 

I wanted him up in early July…still feel he should have been brought up.

Plenty of winning organizations do that too.

I think part of the hitting adjustment philosophy discussion may be influenced by the age and level of play of the players.  In discussing hitting with both college and high school coaches, staying back and letting the ball travel is the predominate coaching style.  If you have a player as talented as Adley, getting it out front may be a better approach.  IMO, each player needs an individual plan, so coaches need to be able to teach both.

22 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I wanted him up in early July…still feel he should have been brought up.

Plenty of winning organizations do that too.

What's the upside of calling him up last July?  Is that worth the extra year of service time (we can't assume what the next CBA will say)?

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

What's the upside of calling him up last July?  Is that worth the extra year of service time (we can't assume what the next CBA will say)?

Yes it would have been if they were actually going to attempt to try and win sooner than later.

Had I known they were going to continue with the idiocy of tanking again, I would have said to leave him down as they did.

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes it would have been if they were actually going to attempt to try and win sooner than later.

Had I known they were going to continue with the idiocy of tanking again, I would have said to leave him down as they did.

No doubt. It was the best kept secret in baseball. ?

• Haha 1