Left field at OPACY going through a big change

Sports Guy

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

50.  I want 50+.  It's way overdue to make modern ballparks match modern players.  We've been racing F1 cars in Safeway parking lots for 30 years.  Now we've moved up to a mall parking lot.

They did it with golf courses.

They should raise the rim in the NBA by 18 inches.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Word definitions are fluid and they have incentive to say what they said.

Going by the data we have, do you think it's "an absolute outlier" or simply hitting friendly?

I lean toward the later.  To me an absolute outlier is what Coors field was back in the day.

For the record I'm fine with the change, I just think it has to do with things beyond simply making it harder to hit a home run.

I dunno man, I'm not an analyst. I'm just on board with it. If the O's say it's an outlier in terms of hitter-friendly parks, I'm inclined to believe their stable of smarty-pants analysts. That's all the bandwidth I have for it right now lol. 

This is super out of the box thinking on team construction that I am glad to see out of the front office.  Not only are they making the change but its based on stats and metrics designed to help build a more competitive team for the Orioles.

Any one know where you can find the plotted home runs last year and see what this change might affect?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, interloper said:

I dunno man, I'm not an analyst. I'm just on board with it. If the O's say it's an outlier in terms of hitter-friendly parks, I'm inclined to believe their stable of smarty-pants analysts. That's all the bandwidth I have for it right now lol. 

The data is right there.  Camden Yards is a very good HR park, and a pretty good run park.  Yearly data is very noisy, but that's clear from looking at multiple years.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I doubt this move is as shortsighted as moving the fences to accommodate the current makeup of the team.   I see it as a long term move to balance the pitching and the hitting.  They aren’t going to change this every five years based on what the team happens to look like.

Personally, 30 feet seems pretty drastic to me.   I would have preferred 15 or 20.   

I know it's just semantics, but every report I'd seen had said "as much as 30 feet," rather than this being a firm number. So perhaps it will end up being less?

From the Baltimore Sun yesterday:

The changes — the first to the size of the iconic ballpark’s playing area in two decades — will raise the wall’s height from 7 feet to about 12 feet and move it back as much as 30 feet, according to information provided by the team. 

4 minutes ago, justD said:

I know it's just semantics, but every report I'd seen had said "as much as 30 feet," rather than this being a firm number. So perhaps it will end up being less?

I believe this means that as left field starts at the foul poul and the fence curves toward center field, the change will go from 0' feet to 30' deeper and then gradually decrease again until it gets to the bullpen area.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I completely agree that they have a specific POV and they do not shy away from that.  I was not presenting it as anything other than what it is.

As for your question, I'm not going to reply because I'd be encroaching upon the boards no politics rules.

To be clear, just in case it wasn't initially, when I mentioned "far right hand side of distribution," I meant in terms of along an axis indicating positive vs. negative outcome, with there being some distribution across stadium deals.

27 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The data is right there.  Camden Yards is a very good HR park, and a pretty good run park.  Yearly data is very noisy, but that's clear from looking at multiple years.

And now it's less of one, which is a very good idea IMO. It's super interesting and exciting that this warehouse is not just sitting back. They're making changes and doing it their way and the heck with the haters. 

Now we just have to see what their approach is, at some point, to bigger free agent and trade acquisitions, and extensions. Those are the things we don't know yet.