Happy Birthday Heston Kjerstad

wildcard

Turns 23 today.  Roch has a nice interview with him.  He sounds like a full go for ST.   I think he begins the season at Delmarva and plays at three levels this year.  Ends the season at Bowie.   Should be an exciting player to watch during the season.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2022/02/catching-up-with-heston-kjerstad.html

I know DL Hall is kind of the reputed clubhouse leader for delta entering 2022 between floor and ceiling, but Kjerstad's track has put him somewhat into that category for me.

I imagine he and Mayo will be Delmarva teammates some in the first half of the season, and seeing who can outhit who will be interesting to watch.    Hopefully they can both climb the Torkelson scale of 2020 draftees scaring the heck out of pitchers.

2021 the Delmarva "What am I doing here, man?" outcomes were Mayo 311/416/547, Gunnar 312/369/575 and Cowser 347/476/429.

I guess Mayo could open Aberdeen, but we'll see.   Pity the poor Low-A East pitchers if he's ornery and growing as a masher.

I’ve been very encouraged by everything I’ve read about Kjerstad this offseason.   Seems to me like the health problems are behind him and he’s gotten himself into very good physical condition.   Now it’s a matter of making up for the fact that he hasn’t played in a competitive game in two years.    In the ideal world, he follows the Westburg/Henderson path and starts in Delmarva but ends up in Bowie (and hopefully with a bit more time at the latter than Henderson got).   If it turns out that he never makes it to Bowie in 2022 but has a solid year at Delmarva/Aberdeen and stays healthy all year, I can live with that, though I’d be somewhat disappointed.   He can’t help the fact that he missed so much time and is behind schedule.   

On 2/12/2022 at 11:32 AM, Just Regular said:

I know DL Hall is kind of the reputed clubhouse leader for delta entering 2022 between floor and ceiling, but Kjerstad's track has put him somewhat into that category for me.

I imagine he and Mayo will be Delmarva teammates some in the first half of the season, and seeing who can outhit who will be interesting to watch.    Hopefully they can both climb the Torkelson scale of 2020 draftees scaring the heck out of pitchers.

2021 the Delmarva "What am I doing here, man?" outcomes were Mayo 311/416/547, Gunnar 312/369/575 and Cowser 347/476/429.

I guess Mayo could open Aberdeen, but we'll see.   Pity the poor Low-A East pitchers if he's ornery and growing as a masher.

Good thoughts. It might be good to have Mayo and Kjerstad push each other the way Gunnar and Westburg did last year. It might help take some pressure off as well. Hoping Kjerstad is healthy and can just relax. He’ll get there. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• A poor man’s Mateo must be one broke MFer.
    • He said top prospects in the minor leagues. Kjerstad is in the major leagues.
    • Resigning Burnes is a long shot at this point. And getting 1.5 years of a viable 4/5 for the cost of a 40 fv player in a ball when we’ve had multiple starter injuries is good business to me. Not as our key move at the deadline, but for depth. If I could get civale for one of those guys then go get a #3 behind Grayson also, I’m all for it. Obviously too late now, but that also strengthens the pen if you can move Suarez back to a bp role. 
    • How is Mayo more expendable than Kjerstad? No wonder Bowden hasn't had a GM job for years.
    • Which contending teams do you feel are in a position to trade a “quality” reliever for a mostly-platoon 1B/DH? The overwhelming majority of contenders are looking to bolster their bullpen at this time of year — not weaken it. Whose bullpen is deep enough that they’d be willing to subtract from it during a pennant chase? As best I can tell, your options are basically Cleveland or…no one. If you want to sell O’Hearn for prospects in the offseason, I could get on board with that. In the middle of July, when you’re currently the best team in the American League? Moving a guy with a 124 wRC+ over the last 1.5 seasons seems foolhardy. I doubt there’s a lot of noise about trying to dump guys like Pete Alonso (125), Luis Arraez (124), Kyle Schwarber (124), Austin Riley (123), etc. — which is because their teams are focused on winning right now. Not on maximizing trade value. Not on forcing opportunities for prospects. WS contenders are not dumping high-end bats to gamble that some kids are ready.  Moving a guy to clear up a logjam and create space in-season to gamble on these kids’ high ceilings is an approach you might reasonably take with guys like Mateo, Urias, Hays, etc. Guys who are on the fringes of the roster, part-time players. But I don’t think it’s what you do with a guy you’ll slot into the 3 hole against the dozen or more good RH SPs in the AL that we may have to face come October. 
    • I remember that now. I actually watched the Tides when he was out there one day. That will give him more opportunities for sure as long as he isn’t a liability in the OF.
    • 1. Are the Orioles prepared to make a big move at the deadline? It seems like a (deal with the White Sox for) Garrett Crochet and Tommy Pham would be perfect for them. … Could catcher Samuel Basallo be the main piece in a deal for a controllable starter? — Brad K. The Orioles were proud that they didn’t trade any of their top-seven prospects when they landed Corbin Burnes from the Brewers in the offseason, and they’re continuing down that path in negotiations for starting pitchers now. They believe they don’t have to trade Basallo or Coby Mayo — ranked 12th and 17th, respectively, in Keith Law’s top 50 from early June — because they can instead deal from the depth of their strong farm system. Their approach is to hold onto all of their top prospects and deal from the middle of their farm system, which is better than the top of most teams’ systems.   That being said, a trade for Crochet would probably have to start with Basallo or Mayo, which could mean the Orioles pivot to a lesser starter, perhaps pursuing a reunion with Jack Flaherty of the Tigers or trying to land Luis Severino from the Mets.     2. Do you think Cal Quantrill would be a good fit for the Orioles? — Charles W. Yes, I think Quantrill would be a solid pickup for the back of their rotation. He wouldn’t be at the top of my target list — with pitchers such as Crochet, Flaherty, Severino, or any of the Blue Jays’ starters — but I put him in the category of Erick Fedde of the White Sox as a solid rotation depth play. Quantrill, 29, is under team control through 2025.   8. Crochet has already pitched more innings (101 1/3) this season than he had in his entire career. If a contending team acquires him, how will they manage his workload for the rest of 2024? — Robert S. That’s a great question, Robert. I asked two NL GMs who had interest in Crochet the same question and they both answered that if they were able to acquire him, which both believed would be difficult based on the return the White Sox would need to move him, they likely would use him as a reliever for the second half of the season, then stretch him back out at the end of September to give him a chance to start in the postseason.   27. Everyone asks about the biggest name to be traded, but who will be the biggest prospect to be traded? — Cameron Bortolazzo That’s a phenomenal question, Cameron. I’ll go with Coby Mayo, who as I said earlier, the Orioles are not looking to trade. But he is the most expendable of all their top prospects in the minor leagues and has the talent to be the headliner in a trade for a pitcher like Garrett Crochet.     This from his latest The Athletic piece, which I can’t get a link for.
  • Popular Contributors