Orioles sign Shed Long to a minor league deal

SteveA

.791 career minor league OPS.   Lefthanded bat.   Primarly a 2Bman, has played LF some in the minors as well.  Anyone know anything about his fielding ability?

Missed a lot of time in late 2020/early 2021 after suffering a stress fracture in his shin.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/02/orioles-shed-long-agree-to-minor-league-deal.html

26 year old with 2.057 years on MLB service time.  Long looks like a good fielding 2B who has had trouble with his right shin over the last two years.  Hasn't hit well.   Also plays left field but his range is not as good as Stewart out there.

Was a catcher in his early years.  Could be an emergency catcher if needed.  Probably begins the season at AAA.  Signed to a minor league contract and has an option left.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, wildcard said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/02/orioles-shed-long-agree-to-minor-league-deal.html

26 year old with 2.057 years on MLB service time.  Long looks like a good fielding 2B who has had trouble with his right shin over the last two years.  Hasn't hit well.   Also plays left field but his range is not as good as Stewart out there.

Just curious where you are getting that. I saw him play in the minors in the Reds organization and from what I recall he looked decently athletic according to the eye test. 

28 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Just curious where you are getting that. I saw him play in the minors in the Reds organization and from what I recall he looked decently athletic according to the eye test. 

If you have seen him then I would go with what you think.  I was just looking at numbers and he seem like more of a 2B than a LFer.  But I have not seen him so I don't know what you know.