Correa (Update, signs with Twins)

Yardball85

23 minutes ago, Ripken said:

I think so.  Story anyone?  

I hope not, his home/away splits are absolutely atrocious. His OPS is like 200 points lower away from Coors Field for his career, and last year he hit .203 with a .718 OPS in places closer to sea level.

Whoever gives him 9 figures is probably going to regret it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I hope not, his home/away splits are absolutely atrocious. His OPS is like 200 points lower away from Coors Field for his career, and last year he hit .203 with a .718 OPS in places closer to sea level.

Whoever gives him 9 figures is probably going to regret it.

I don’t think he’s getting that deal since he’s coming off of an injury.  A shorter term deal, maybe even for 1 year, is very possible.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think he’s getting that deal since he’s coming off of an injury.  A shorter term deal, maybe even for 1 year, is very possible.

I will lose a ton of faith in Elias if he gives up a draft pick for a year or two of Story, probably even more so than if he gave him 5 or 6 years.

1 minute ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I will lose a ton of faith in Elias if he gives up a draft pick for a year or two of Story, probably even more so than if he gave him 5 or 6 years.

I thought the losing a draft pick thing went away with the new CBA.   Is that right?

On 3/12/2022 at 9:38 PM, DrinkinWithFermi said:

True, but signed that deal heading into his age 32 season and they were going all in at the time. He's now heading into his age 38 season and still has not gotten a ring.

He’s a declining pitcher …. He may not have options that he thinks give him a good shot. Once that’s out of the way the money would be next on the check list. Besides….signing with a team like the Oriolesand having a good season might give him a better shot of being dealt to a contender that’s in it at the deadline 

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I thought the losing a draft pick thing went away with the new CBA.   Is that right?

I thought that did not kick in until next offseason, but I could certainly be wrong.

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He’s a declining pitcher …. He may not have options that he thinks give him a good shot. Once that’s out of the way the money would be next on the check list. Besides….signing with a team like the Oriolesand having a good season might give him a better shot of being dealt to a contender that’s in it at the deadline 

I am willing to bet that at least one fringe contender makes him an offer. The SP market is starting to get pretty thin.

13 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

The splits are a concern, I agree but he will be going from the best hitters park the last 3 years to the third best.  It’s not like he’s going to come here and be a sub 800 OPs guy. He also plays in a division loaded with pitchers parks, so getting out of that is helpful as well.

That being said, I would rather Story sign with St Louis and us get DeJong on the cheap.  I may even prefer that to Correa.