Correa (Update, signs with Twins)

Yardball85

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Like I said, one of the reasons he may not have accepted the offer (if it was offered) was a lack of opt out.  It makes sense that he wants one and will get one.

Why on earth wouldnt the O's agree to put in an opt out. I'd happily let him walk in 3 years just for the chance of getting his prime years. He's only going downhill after 30.

8 minutes ago, owknows said:

If you think he'll worth keeping long term, you amortize the league min control years into a discounted four years after that.

Sign him for 8, at a substantial discount.

If he wants to live the good life now and offset his risk... he'll take it. Some players do, as we've learned recently.

And of course the risk to the O's, is that he'd get hurt.

All in all. probably a risk worth taking

Well, without specific numbers, I can't agree that it's a risk worth taking, as we haven't even quantified what the risk is.

He's a catcher we can basically pay league minimum for through his 28th year.  To start guaranteeing him tens of millions of dollars to get his 29+ years is extraordinarily risky.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well, without specific numbers, I can't agree that it's a risk worth taking, as we haven't even quantified what the risk is.

Of course. In the end I was speaking of the concept of early extension in general.

Some teams have considered it worth the risk, and there are a few notable examples in the recent past of players accepting deals that most consider EXTREMELY beneficial to the team... because they want the money now.

Just now, owknows said:

Of course. In the end I was speaking of the concept of early extension in general.

Some teams have considered it worth the risk, and there are a few notable examples in the recent past of players accepting deals that most consider EXTREMELY beneficial to the team... because they want the money now.

As a general rule, I think you're right about extensions.

However, specifically, we're talking about a catcher who we can pay peanuts until he's almost 30.

How much do we need/want to extend him?

1 hour ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

https://conlasbasesllenas.com/the-baltimore-orioles-are-serious-about-carlos-correa-and-their-future/

If he is to believed, working on an Adley extension as well. 

From the article:

Sources to Con las Bases Llenas confirmed the O’s are working on a new offer, including new details on the proposal, including an opt-out after the 4th year for the platinum glove winner and All-Star shortstop.

The initial offer presented was top-heavy in the first couple of years, averaging over forty million per season and just under thirty million the remaining eight with no opt-outs, approximately 360 Million dollars.

1 hour ago, owknows said:

What's all this talk about Correa?

We tried a player from there already. Didn't work out.

I don't think Buck liked him.

No Emily, it’s Carlos Correa.  The All Star baseball player.

Emily:  Oh, nevermind.  B**ch.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

You have to respect the guy doubling and tripling down and then adding Adley on top of it lol. It's like he's all in until MLBTR finally throws him a bone, which they won't.

Totally.  I mean, these are the moves you would hope this franchise would make.  

Seems too good to be true?  Usually is.  

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

Why on earth wouldnt the O's agree to put in an opt out. I'd happily let him walk in 3 years just for the chance of getting his prime years. He's only going downhill after 30.

Exactly!  I realize the O's probably aren't gonna get him but hope springs Eternal this time of year.

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

He's a catcher we can basically pay league minimum for through his 28th year.  To start guaranteeing him tens of millions of dollars to get his 29+ years is extraordinarily risky.

Your math is way off.  He’ll earn the minimum at 24-26.   He’s not earning the minimum at 27 unless we keep him down until June this year.  Even if we do, there’s the risk that he finishes in the top 2 for RoY and is in arbitration at 27 anyway.   

53 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

From the article:

Sources to Con las Bases Llenas confirmed the O’s are working on a new offer, including new details on the proposal, including an opt-out after the 4th year for the platinum glove winner and All-Star shortstop.

The initial offer presented was top-heavy in the first couple of years, averaging over forty million per season and just under thirty million the remaining eight with no opt-outs, approximately 360 Million dollars.

360 !!! Bloddy Nora! I don't know if I can believe that

36 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Your math is way off.  He’ll earn the minimum at 24-26.   He’s not earning the minimum at 27 unless we keep him down until June this year.  Even if we do, there’s the risk that he finishes in the top 2 for RoY and is in arbitration at 27 anyway.   

Ok, I poorly remember yours and Tony's conversation from the other day.  I should say we have him for peanuts up til his 28th year.  (And yes, I'm assuming the setback allows us to do exactly that.  Perhaps I am pessimistic.)

2 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Lots of teams don’t like them.  Gives all the power to the players.

I personally love them but I’m in the minority.

Personally,  I'm ok with a 4 year opt out.  Your hope is that by 2023  or 2024 the O's are in a position to contend.  It also gives prospects time to develop and we can possibly fill the Correa hole with someone from the system.  Plus, by then, Correa will be thirty and if he wants to move on, more power to him.