Norfolk will be fun to watch, but whew that Tides pitching staff...

interloper

Unfortunately for the Tides they don't have the luxury of using any of the up-and-down pitchers that are currently on the 40-man roster. That includes Akin, Baumann, Bradish, Hall, Lowther, Smith, Wells, or Zimmermann. Wow! Of course the lockout happens right after the O's add the vast majority of their upper-minors pitching talent to the 40-man roster. While the lockout obviously sucks for everyone, the Tides are really screwed seeing as they can't even absorb the pitchers who would not be included on the O's 26-man roster out of spring. 

The current pitching staff of the Tides, of course subject to change, and that almost certainly will include Grayson Rodriguez eventually, is:

Almengo
Diplan
Garcia
Hartman
Hoffman
Knight
Lakins Sr.
Lebron
Sedlock
Uvila
Vespi
Watkins

That's rough, boy. Bowie's staff is much, much more interesting - it includes guys like Bishop, Brnovich, Hanifee, Peralta, Rom, and Stallings.

• Upvote 1

I'd expect both Rodriguez and Brnovich to start in the AAA rotation and if Rom does not as well, I expect he'll be up to AAA in a month or so assuming he performs well.  Peralta should also start at AAA whether it be in the rotation or bullpen. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Big Mac said:

I'd expect both Rodriguez and Brnovich to start in the AAA rotation and if Rom does not as well, I expect he'll be up to AAA in a month or so assuming he performs well.  Peralta should also start at AAA whether it be in the rotation or bullpen. 

Yeah this would be a huge boost. I'll be interested to see how the rosters end up at the end of the month. 

Good point.   I've thought how much it sucks for DL Hall not to get to be with his guys, but hadn't thought at all really about the same being true for the Bradish and down guys, in fact wondering whether Bradish or Rodriguez would get the Norfolk Opening Night start.

Rodriguez still might have a rival for the job, but obviously not Bradish.

Tuesday April 5th is 33 days off.   I don't feel we can count days between spring starts as reliably as fans used to as last year 4-days between starts fell to about even with 5-days between starts in MLB.

On the other hand, I've read the Union war chest might have 15K/month to keep guys going.   If so, I hope Felix Bautista already has his first installment.

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

I wish they'd make exceptions for players on the 40 man roster who qualify as major league rookies.  The situation really isn't fair for them.  

Yeah, something like if you have less then n days of service time, and you have to spend at least a month in the minor leagues you can report to minor league camp. 

The situation also hoses guys who are injured and rehabbing. I wish drs were also an exception to the lockout 

Kevin Goldstein got a variation on this in his Fangraphs chat yesterday and basically just said teams are going to have to move people up.

Since owners are broadly trying to pay fewer minor league filler players, I doubt they will sign every Crash Davis in the world.    For Elias and his usually cautious initial placements, it will be interesting to see who might be "temporary Tides" in the early weeks.    

I know a few folks have grids of the upper minors levels, and at some point closer to it if the 40-man players remain locked out as the Tides begin, am meaning to circle back to those to see who bubbles up once you cross everyone on the 40 off.

On 3/6/2022 at 8:11 AM, Ruzious said:

I wish they'd make exceptions for players on the 40 man roster who qualify as major league rookies.  The situation really isn't fair for them.  

They really should come to some kind of agreement that allows players on the 40-man to play in the minors as long as they have an option.

• 1 month later...

Was reading the report on last night's (4/12) game from the Tides PR guy (thank you, weams) and this little entry caught my eye:

After Bradish ended his outing, Ryan Hartman entered to throw four innings of relief...it’s the fourth time in seven games the Tides had a reliever go 4.0 innings, with two of those outings coming from Hartman…so far this season, Hartman is 1-0 with a 1.13 ERA (1 ER, 8.0 IP) and two walks to eight strikeouts…tonight was his third career win as a Tide, with his last coming on September 26 at Charlotte.

• Upvote 1