CBA Questions

connja

Thought it would be useful to have place to ask Orioles related quuestions about the new CBA.  Feel free to move or redirect me as necessary.

I'll start:

I understand that there are restrictions on how often teams can pick in the draft lottery.  I assume that the lottery will begin with the 2023 draft.  With the Orioles drafting first this year, do we know if there will be any restrictions on how high the Orioles will be able to pick in 2023?  

Just now, connja said:

Thought it would be useful to have place to ask Orioles related quuestions about the new CBA.  Feel free to move or redirect me as necessary.

I'll start:

I understand that there are restrictions on how often teams can pick in the draft lottery.  I assume that the lottery will begin with the 2023 draft.  With the Orioles drafting first this year, do we know if there will be any restrictions on how high the Orioles will be able to pick in 2023?  

Great resource: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/guide-to-the-new-cba-draft-lottery-expanded-playoffs-and-more/

Os can’t pick in top 6 more than 2 years in a row it states. 

Not answering the original question but some more info on the details of the new CBA, this seemed to be the best place:

IL will return to 15 days for all players (the last couple years it was reduced to 10 for pitchers).

26 man roster remains, with expansion to 28 on Sept 1.  Max 13 pitchers on the 26, max 14 on the Sept roster.

They are still negotiating a potential early season MLB roster bump due to the short spring training.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Great resource: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/guide-to-the-new-cba-draft-lottery-expanded-playoffs-and-more/

Right, but I'm wondering if 2022 will count as part of that.  Since 2022 will not be a lottery year, I'm hopeful it won't since there is a good chance our record will be bottom 6 this year and put us in the 2023 lottery.

42 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

The question is, when does this kick in?   Let’s assume the O’s finish near the bottom this year.   In 2023, the first year of the lottery, are the O’s considered ineligible for the lottery because they’ve already had a top 6 pick four years in a row?   Or is 2023 considered the first time they’ve had a top 6 pick because it’s a new system?

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Of course they do.  7-hour, 19-inning games haven't been fun for players since they banned greenies.

They aren't fun for me either.  I happed to like the rule, though 12 year old me would disagree.

11 minutes ago, connja said:

They aren't fun for me either.  I happed to like the rule, though 12 year old me would disagree.

3-on-3 backyard whiffle ball games always had ghost runners.  That was back when you could throw the ball at a runner as he ran between bases to get an out.

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

And now MLB & MLBPA are negotiating possibly bringing back the ghost runner in extra innings.   Apparently the players like it.

They may start the ghost runner in the 11th or 12th inning rather than the 10th. It's still being discussed.

Here’s a couple of changes reported by Maury Brown that I hadn’t heard about before: 

1.  “No More Tiebreaker Games: In the past, teams that had identical records at the end of 162 games in a division would play game 163 — a tiebreaker. Now, that system is gone. Instead, MLB will now follow a system more closely aligned with the NFL for determining ties. This is largely due to increased playoff games and lack of slack in the regular season scheduled.”

2.  “Salary Arbitration Salaries Guaranteed:Salary arbitration eligible players who settle with their club on a salary for the subsequent season without going to an arbitration hearing will be eligible to receive full season termination pay, even if released prior to the start of the regular season.“

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2022/03/10/with-mlb-lockout-over-here-are-all-the-details-of-new-2022-26-labor-deal/?sh=160a692d23e2

One interesting aspect of no. 2 is it apparently only applies if the sides settle.   A player who actually goes to a hearing can still get the rug pulled out from under him.   So, there’s some incentive for the player to settle to lock in his salary.  That could lead to cheaper settlements.   

• Thanks 1