OAK-CIN race to the bottom

Just Regular

I think the Reds just got rid of Suarez $$$ like Padres were hoping to with Hosmer.

It looks like Jesse Winker just got dealt at least in part for salary relief.

Votto needs a new home even more than Trey.

Castillo and Mahle probably beat Montas and Manaea on years and quality.    Hard to picture any of them being kept after today's Olson/Winker news.

6 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Miley given away to a divisional rival for literally nothing in a waiver claim and Winker shipped out in a partial salary dump, I'd be absolutely apoplectic if I was a Reds fan. 

That's third grade stuff compared to what we've put up with as Oriole fans the last few years.

5 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I disagree- they gave up pieces with actual value for considerably less than full value to save some cash, and they still have years of terrible baseball to look forward to.

Worse than trading Gausman for salary relief?  Worse than the sorry assortment of pitchers we've seen suit up the last few years?  Worse than watching coaches and announcers be let go for monetary reasons?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Worse than trading Gausman for salary relief?  Worse than the sorry assortment of pitchers we've seen suit up the last few years?  Worse than watching coaches and announcers be let go for monetary reasons?

Yeah, actually.

The Reds won 83 games last year, and had 4 good SPs and a decent offensive core heading into 2022 when last season ended. Imagine if the Orioles were a fringey-but-still-plausible contender when they started all that crap instead of a 47 win team.

2 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Yeah, actually.

The Reds won 83 games last year, and had 4 good SPs and a decent offensive core heading into 2022 when last season ended. Imagine if the Orioles were a fringey-but-still-plausible contender when they started all that crap instead of a 47 win team.

Sorry, I don't agree.

They haven't been handed a heaping pile of offal for years.

It isn't year four with them still hearing "We probably won't be doing a multi-year deal."

Once the Reds become a joke on the national level I'll reconsider.

They've got a ways to go.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sorry, I don't agree.

They haven't been handed a heaping pile of offal for years.

It isn't year four with them still hearing "We probably won't be doing a multi-year deal."

Once the Reds become a joke on the national level I'll reconsider.

They've got a ways to go.

To me, actively tearing down a winning team that is returning the majority of its core in blatant salary dumps just to save the billionaire owner a few bucks is even more repulsive than an already atrocious team with a barren farm taking the tanking route, but I can certainly see the other side too. Both are really bad for the sport at the end of the day.

14 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

To me, actively tearing down a winning team that is returning the majority of its core in blatant salary dumps just to save the billionaire owner a few bucks is even more repulsive than an already atrocious team with a barren farm taking the tanking route, but I can certainly see the other side too. Both are really bad for the sport at the end of the day.

How was the Gausman trade not a salary dump to save the billionaire owner a few bucks?

They *could* have not included O'Day and got better prospects back.

Edited by Can_of_corn

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

How was the Gausman trade not a salary dump to save the billionaire owner a few bucks?

It was, and I was pissed about it when it happened, but Gausman did not exactly have the steadiest career track record at that point, plus he was going to reach free agency long before we even sniffed .500 again, whereas the Reds were 4 games over .500 last year and play in a division with 2 already rebuilding also-ran teams, and are doing the exact same thing (and arguably even worse in Miley's case).

1 minute ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

It was, and I was pissed about it when it happened, but Gausman did not exactly have the steadiest career track record at that point, plus he was going to reach free agency long before we even sniffed .500 again, whereas the Reds were 4 games over .500 last year and play in a division with 2 already rebuilding also-ran teams, and are doing the exact same thing (and arguably even worse in Miley's case).

If we see this behavior from the reds for four more seasons I'll reconsider.

I don't see them losing 108 or more games three years in a row (full seasons natch).

The A's did get the high 1st round catcher ATL picked same year as Adley.   Shea Langeliers only got a AAA cup of coffee to Rutschman's couple months but if his presence in the deal means Sean Murphy heads out of town too, he might have a puncher's chance of beating Adley to the Show.

I agree bitterer for today's Reds fans than what we got in 2018.   

The 2021 Reds had the CBA feel-good bit about would have been 2nd wildcard team last year.    Winker, Stephenson, India, Castillo and Mahle as Votto sidekicks...the 2022 Reds coulda been a contender, except that those 2019-2021 High Spend years in the 120's were I guess just too much.

Winkler is a platoon guy.  Reds not giving up a ton of talent.  Suarez has dropped off some.

Got a first round pick in 2021 and a top 100 player.  Another guy they like that can step right in for Winkler.

What the Orioles have done the last few years, especially the direction this year appears to be headed is far worse imo.