Tyler Wells 2022

Il BuonO

This is the best compliment I can give Wells: he just seems like a guy that would be on the Rays staff. You don't really know who he is, but he's a big dude who just gives you a hard time even though he doesn't show ace profile. And you come away thinking, where do the Rays get these guys?? That's what I feel watching him. What a pleasure he's been the last couple years. 

7 hours ago, jamalshw said:

I know this isn't analytical or numbers supported, but right now, I feel the best about our chances when I see Wells is pitching. Of course, that was the case with Zimmermann the first month of the season. Still, so far this year, Wells is the only one I'd want to be back in the rotation next year. (We will see where we are with Kremer in a couple months).

Wells and Kramer for me.  SSS of course.  I used to feel best about Lyles lol. 

If we buy Quality instead of Quantity in 2023's Lyles character, with Grayson developments he might be today's favorite to lead the team in IP next year.

At 5 innings/game, just 10 more starts will have him at the 120 IP threshold I remember Ben giving as a nice 2022 target in April when the bad outings were more of the mix.    50 games from now only gets us to Team Game 125.    It'd be fantastic if Rodriguez could take his baton in September.

With the Club's zest for step increments, hard to imagine them letting him have 17 more starts to Game 162.

I'd love to see him "miss more bats," and I realize homer's have changed the game and how we measure pitching effectiveness, but does a starter have to average 1 KO per inning to be effective?  If he's not giving up home runs at a high rate, and he's not walking a ton of batters, an out's an out even if it's not a KO.  

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I thought he was trying to pitch to contact?   😉

On the radio, they were talking up his pitch to contact philosophy, until he struck out 4 of the first 5 batters he faced and they sheepishly had to admit that he wasn’t pitching to contact.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BRobinsonfan said:

I'd love to see him "miss more bats," and I realize homer's have changed the game and how we measure pitching effectiveness, but does a starter have to average 1 KO per inning to be effective?  If he's not giving up home runs at a high rate, and he's not walking a ton of batters, an out's an out even if it's not a KO.  

A ball in play is an out 70-73% of Time, on average. 

A strikeout is an out over 99% of the time.  

So while it’s not a necessity to get a lot of Ks, it’s very helpful and obviously a missed bat is a ball that isn’t put in play. 

It’s rare to see very good starters who can’t miss bats and get Ks in todays game.

I think if he (or anyone else) doesn’t do that, the upside becomes more limited.  Doesn’t mean they can’t be successful though.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I think he is a keeper.  

His value right now would be as part of a package for a higher end player, probably starting pitcher, with years of control.

So, if there is a pitcher like that out there and Wells is a desired target for that team, I think it becomes possible he is traded but that’s the only scenario I see.

• Downvote 1