DL Hall 2022

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I think his next outing should be in Baltimore.  I don’t disagree that another 2-4 weeks in AAA won’t kill him but I would rather see those innings up here.

I disagree.   Hall hardly pitched last year, and though he’s capable of being dominant, it’s better for him to work on sharpening his secondaries and his command at the minor league level right now.   I do want him to see significant major league time this year if he continues to progress, but it’s premature to bring him up now IMO.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I disagree.   Hall hardly pitched last year, and though he’s capable of being dominant, it’s better for him to work on sharpening his secondaries and his command at the minor league level right now.   I do want him to see significant major league time this year if he continues to progress, but it’s premature to bring him up now IMO.

Why do you think it's better?

I think the best way to improve is to be challenged.  He doesn't need "sharp secondaries" to beat minor league hitters.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why do you think it's better?

I think the best way to improve is to be challenged.  He doesn't need "sharp secondaries" to beat minor league hitters.

It’s better because in the majors the onus is on getting the batters out any way you can.  If that means only throwing your fastball and curve, that’s what you do.   In the minors you can throw a heavy dose of sliders and change ups to sharpen those up, and if that means you allow a few extra hits or runs while you work on those pitches, who cares?

And if the O’s want him to be a starter, he does need sharp secondaries.  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s better because in the majors the onus is on getting the batters out any way you can.  If that means only throwing your fastball and curve, that’s what you do.   In the minors you can throw a heavy dose of sliders and change ups to sharpen those up, and if that means you allow a few extra hits or runs while you work on those pitches, who cares?

And if the O’s want him to be a starter, he does need sharp secondaries.  

Doesn't have to be if you goal for the season doesn't include being competitive from a team standpoint.

Which is the case with the O's this year.

He hangs a curve the season isn't lost.

I'd rather he hang a curve to a ML hitter and pay the price then hang a curve to a minor leaguer who misses the cookie because he was thinking about the fastball.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Doesn't have to be if you goal for the season doesn't include being competitive from a team standpoint.

Which is the case with the O's this year.

He hangs a curve the season isn't lost.

I'd rather he hang a curve to a ML hitter and pay the price then hang a curve to a minor leaguer who misses the cookie because he was thinking about the fastball.

We just aren’t going to agree here.  I realize winning isn’t a priority for the major league team, but that doesn’t mean they tell their major league players to treat the games like it’s spring training when they’re “working on stuff.”   The players are doing whatever they can to win.   I see you have a different view of how to develop a guy like Hall, but I suspect Elias and Hyde do not agree.  

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We just aren’t going to agree here.  I realize winning isn’t a priority for the major league team, but that doesn’t mean they tell their major league players to treat the games like it’s spring training when they’re “working on stuff.”   The players are doing whatever they can to win.   I see you have a different view of how to develop a guy like Hall, but I suspect Elias and Hyde do not agree.  

You certainly can treat the majors that way when you don’t care about winning.  You think another 12-20 innings is going to make some vast difference?

I'm a huge fan of Hall but agree he could use some further refinement in AAA.  That said, while I think he's a starter long-term, the feeling for this year is that he'll be used as a piggyback guy, most logically with Wells.  In that case, I don't think the pitch count/efficiency issues are all that important.  If he can follow Wells up by going 3-4 innings, that would be fine.

• Upvote 2

I just watched Hall's performance last night.  Man, he is fun to watch because his stuff is so electric.   If everyone stays healthy next year is going to be a treat watching the guys in the rotation.   

He struck out the first 6 guys he faced, and it didn't even look like anyone had a chance of making contact with the ball,  maybe a couple foul balls.  With that said, he throws a ton of non-competitive pitches.   Lot's of balls right out of his hand.  He fell behind batters but the stuff is so good they can't hit it when they are ahead.   Also, a good bit of swings outside of the strike zone.  

He isn't going to get away with that at the next level, batters are going to work his pitch count very high early in games if he can't get the fastball consistently in the strike zone.  

I imagine they want him starting games so I believe they will leave him down in AAA to continue to get starts and work on his command.  Halls live arm is must see TV for baseball nerds.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I'm a huge fan of Hall but agree he could use some further refinement in AAA.  That said, while I think he's a starter long-term, the feeling for this year is that he'll be used as a piggyback guy, most logically with Wells.  In that case, I don't think the pitch count/efficiency issues are all that important.  If he can follow Wells up by going 3-4 innings, that would be fine.

I could see this being the Orioles plan in the second half or maybe the last month or two of the season. Right now he needs to refine his command of his four pitches.

49 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

5.9 BB rate in Norfolk is high. Hall needs to start walking less guys in his starts. Otherwise he'll just do the same thing in Baltimore. 

Wow, that walk rate is terrible.  Teams like the Yankees will just stand there w/ a bat on their shoulder and watch pitch after pitch go by.  That's not going to work at the major league level.

32 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Wow, that walk rate is terrible.  Teams like the Yankees will just stand there w/ a bat on their shoulder and watch pitch after pitch go by.  That's not going to work at the major league level.

We’re talking about 13.2 innings here.  It’s way too soon to draw any significant meaning from it.  Let’s not forget we’re talking about a guy who still hasn’t thrown 50 innings above A ball.