DL Hall 2022

Tony-OH

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well there’s not unless you are someone who believes the prospect has to be perfect to bring them up, which is, of course, foolish.

Call it what you want but Elias believes a player should dominate a level before being promoted.  He has said as much and shown that in his  actions.

Edited by wildcard

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

We said there was not much for Grayson to prove at AAA, but there he was and is.

He’s recovering from a significant injury and had t pitched for almost 3 months.  I think it’s a different situation.  Also why I’m not advocating for putting Hall  in the rotation any time soon.  

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Call it what you want but Elias believes a player should dominate a level before being promoted.  He has said as much and shown that in his  actions.

Then why did Baumann get promoted? Or Hall? 

Edited by waroriole

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Then why did Baumann get promoted?

Because he dominated his last few outings.  Last test for Elias is seeing a player rebound from adversity at the highest minor league level (AAA).

11 ip 17ks 1BB 6H OR in last two starts at Norfolk* 

Edited by emmett16

Baumann will be in the pen next year I have to imagine.  Back to Hall.  I was not excited to see him come up this year.  I didn’t think he was ready.  Now with some MLB seduce and almost 100 innings under his belt, I’d like to see his next year’s inning totals all be in Baltimore.  He needs to show he can throw strikes in spring training.  I really think the light bulb is good in going to go on, I think we just have to be patient.  It would be great for him to get 1 or 2 more opportunities and have him perform well to end season on a high note.  His time in AAA should be done.  

11 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Baumann will be in the pen next year I have to imagine.  Back to Hall.  I was not excited to see him come up this year.  I didn’t think he was ready.  Now with some MLB seduce and almost 100 innings under his belt, I’d like to see his next year’s inning totals all be in Baltimore.  He needs to show he can throw strikes in spring training.  I really think the light bulb is good in going to go on, I think we just have to be patient.  It would be great for him to get 1 or 2 more opportunities and have him perform well to end season on a high note.  His time in AAA should be done.  

JMO but the O's should be planning to win the division next season.   They need to have players that are ready to succeed in the majors to do that.   Development should happen in the minors.   Hall is still trying to find consistent control.  The place to do that is in the minors.  When he shows that bring him up. 

O's need starter depth.  Hall should be developed as a starter at AAA.

Hall, Ortiz, Cowser and Norby all should begin at AAA.   And be promoted when they show they are ready and there is space for them.

Edited by wildcard

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

JMO but the O's should be planning to win the division next season.   They need to have players that are ready to succeed in the majors to do that.   Development should happen in the minors.   Hall is still trying to find consistent control.  The place to do that is in the minors.  When he shows that bring him up. 

O's need starter depth.  Hall should be developed as a starter at AAA.

Hall, Ortiz, Cowser and Norby all should begin at AAA.   And be promoted when they show they are ready and there is space for them.

I wouldn’t be opposed to that approach.  I just  think he can get MLB hitters out right now and could be an asset to the MLB team while he refines his control & learns the league.  

• Upvote 1

My view on Hall is that we shouldn’t pre-judge his role for next year.  He should come into the spring competing for a spot in the major league rotation, but with other options available (as there surely will be).   If he looks great in the spring he can win a spot.  If he’s so-so, we can decide between starting him in the major league bullpen or putting him in the AAA rotation.   If he has a bad spring, he goes to the AAA rotation.   The one thing I don’t see happening is putting into the AAA bullpen.  

He’s shown flashes of why he was so highly ranked in the minors, but he’s been very inconsistent.   I think it will do him some good to have a normal winter, study some film, work on his consistency and absorb what he learned from his major league experience this offseason.  Come back next spring a little more relaxed and polished.  Just think about what Dean Kremer looked like this year compared to last year, or what Bradish looked like before and after his IL stint.  Hall is capable of a leap like that.  

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Well there’s not unless you are someone who believes the prospect has to be perfect to bring them up, which is, of course, foolish.

Not perfect, but elite at that particular level, or maybe someone who has played there a year or two and fills an immediate need.

2 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Not perfect, but elite at that particular level, or maybe someone who has played there a year or two and fills an immediate need.

The better the prospect, the more inclined they are to get as much development done as possible in the minors.  At some point there's certain things you can only learn at the ML level.  I don't think Hall has anything left to learn in the minors.  When he's "on" he can dominate AAA hitters.   If they don't think he's consistent enough to help the ML team or want to keep him at AAA for depth to start next season so be it but I think the best thing for his development is pitching in the ML in some capacity. 

15 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Neither of these are great reasons to bring someone up.

You are basically saying all development needs to happen in the minors and that’s just false.