Tanner Scott and Cole Sulser traded to Marlins

MurphDogg

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ryan Webb.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-on-draft-day-orioles-may-keep-competitive-balance-pick-for-first-time-since-2013-20170612-story.html

The O's actually traded away 3 picks.  I forgot about the one they included in the Norris trade.  When you add in the 1st round picks lost lost for Ubaldo and Gallardo, the loss in potential prospects was huge. 

They used their 2013 pick on outfielder Josh Hart, who is in his third season at High-A Frederick after injuries have slowed his career. Later that summer, they packaged their 2014 pick with prospects to acquire pitcher Bud Norris from the Houston Astros. At the outset of the 2015 season, the pick was sent to the Los Angeles Dodgers along with reliever Ryan Webb.

In 2016, they sent the pick, along with beleaguered left-hander Brian Matusz to the Atlanta Braves for a pair of minor league pitchers, including right-hander Brandon Barker.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-on-draft-day-orioles-may-keep-competitive-balance-pick-for-first-time-since-2013-20170612-story.html

The O's actually traded away 3 picks.  I forgot about the one they included in the Norris trade.  When you add in the 1st round picks lost lost for Ubaldo and Gallardo, the loss in potential prospects was huge. 

They used their 2013 pick on outfielder Josh Hart, who is in his third season at High-A Frederick after injuries have slowed his career. Later that summer, they packaged their 2014 pick with prospects to acquire pitcher Bud Norris from the Houston Astros. At the outset of the 2015 season, the pick was sent to the Los Angeles Dodgers along with reliever Ryan Webb.

In 2016, they sent the pick, along with beleaguered left-hander Brian Matusz to the Atlanta Braves for a pair of minor league pitchers, including right-hander Brandon Barker.

Yeah, because the Os really knock it out of the park with their top picks. 

Any time you are trading relievers who are not absolutely top notch (Zach Britton tier) for players with a chance to actually be something of value (all 3 in the return classify there, probably with the pick and Velez having the best chances, followed by Guerrero), I am extremely satisfied. 

7 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Oh right, yea Norris was the first one.  Slightly more understandable since it was at least to acquire talent and not to dump salary.

They also could have gained a first round pick if they had not signed Davis.  (You could include Trumbo but I'm not sure any other team would have given up a pick to sign Trumbo).

• Tony-OH changed the title to Tanner Scott and Cole Sulser traded to Marlins
58 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Have you been following the Orioles this spring? Maybe peruse the Spring training tracker.

The Orioles have their replacements on hand. Perez is Scott's replacement, and pick your guy (Baker, Bautista, Baumann, and Krehbiel all have the capability to be Sulser. 

I'm not excited about Guerrero, but the fact they turned those guys into something, including a 2nd 3rd round pick is a bonus. 

I wanted Scott gone last year and while Sulser is a capable middle reliever, he's a waiver claim that just turned into something.

The Perez angle is a good point.  If they feel he is essentially the same as Scott, why not?

I'm not a big fan of this trade.   

Scott had 1.31 ERA in 2020 and a 2.78 ERA in the first half of 2021 before he hurt his leg.

Sulser was the O's best reliever last season.

In return:  Velez looks like a comp for Zac Lowther a year ago,  a 17 year old Dominican who put up an under 700 OPS in the Dominican Summer League,  about the 70th pick in the up coming draft and a Player not named yet.

I want to know who the PTBNL is.   He better be very good.

Looks to me like Elias is tracking some pitchers he thinks are going to be DFA'd  in the next week and wants roster space  for them.  He does have the first pick on anyone that hits the waiver wire.

Overall I'm fine with this trade.  They sold low on Scott but they sold high on Sulser.  The pick and the Dominican outfielder give the trade some upside to the O's. 

But we shouldn't pretend that this has no negative impact on the current MLB club.  Sulser was one of the few reliable guys in their bullpen last year.  Scott was not reliable but he had as much upside as any of their relievers.     This trade fits into the overall Elias pattern so far of focusing 100 percent on building up the farm system, with no concern for the performance of the MLB club.  

51 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I'm not sure I've seen this much consensus here in a long time.

I'll add to it.  I like the trade.

I think Dillon Tate becomes closer.  If I still played fantasy, that would be a play to make.

It's pretty hard to dislike this trade unless you overvalue a 32 year old middle reliever and a guy who has a career 4.73 ERA in 156 major league innings. Especially when you have their replacements on the 40-man roster in younger, potentially better pitchers.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I'm not a big fan of this trade.   

Scott had 1.31 ERA in 2020 and a 2.78 ERA in the first half of 2021 before he hurt his leg.

Sulser was the O's best reliever last season.

In return:  Velez looks like a comp for Zac Lowther a year ago,  a 17 year old Dominican who put up an under 700 OPS in the Dominican Summer League,  about the 70th pick in the up coming draft and a Player not named yet.

I want to know who the PTBNL is.   He better be very good.

Looks to me like Elias is tracking some pitchers he thinks are going to be DFA'd  in the next week and wants roster space  for them.  He does have the first pick of anyone that hit the waiver wire.

I said before I’m expecting someone not here yet to be on the roster, so this is possible.

It’s also possible that this trade comes back to bite them.  

That said, it’s very likely that this ends up being the best trade they could get. That’s the odds at least.

Also, I wouldn’t expect much from the PTBNL.

• Like 1

Just now, Tony-OH said:

It's pretty hard to dislike this trade unless you overvalue a 32 year old middle reliever and a guy who has a career 4.73 ERA in 156 major league innings. Especially when you have their replacements on the 40-man roster in younger, potentially better pitchers.

I like the trade, but for the sake of watching the games I hope a few bullpen arms step up this season. I know this year is going to be painful, I just hope it's not 100+ losses painful. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I like the trade, but for the sake of watching the games I hope a few bullpen arms step up this season. I know this year is going to be painful, I just hope it's not 100+ losses painful. 

I actually think the bullpen has a chance to be pretty decent. But we have to see.