Ryan McKenna 2022

Frobby

Anyone hoping for more offense from Ryan McKenna in 2022 may be disappointed with his .138/.219/.414 line this spring.   On the bright side, while he only had 4 hits in 29 at bats, all four went for extra bases (two doubles and two homers), and he only struck out six times in 32 PA, walking three times.   The assumption around here seems to be that he’ll make the team and Stewart is the one at risk.  I think that’s probably correct, but we’ll see.   

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Has final opening day roster been set?

Not due till tomorrow, but they are down to 28 so barring injury or waiver claim, it has.

Check out the two posts I made in the thread below titled "On the Bubble".   In one, I listed the 14 players, and in one, I listed the 14 pitchers, based on tweets about who had made the team and who had been added to the 40 man and that there would be no more additions to the 40 man at this time.

4 hours ago, Pickles said:

But to your point, McKenna can't hit.  SSS AAA stats be damned.  He'll never be more than a 5th outfielder, but his defense and speed do provide some value.

I think he is a 5th outfielder too, but he also hit in Frederick and the Arizona Fall League in 2018. I feel like he and Yusniel Diaz are the prospects whose reputations were most harmed by the missed 2020 season because they showed some promise in 2018 and were mediocre in 2019. Of course, Diaz also doubled down on that reputation hit with his dreadful 2021.

• 1 month later...

I feel like McKenna is underrated here. He’s only 25. We jumped him straight from Bowie. In his 35 career AAA games, he has 14 HR. What if we would’ve just left him alone and not had him just sit on the bench the last two seasons?  

I think it’s unfair to just dub him an org guy. He’s only 1 year older than AR, and in 11 less career AAA games, has 8 more HR. 

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I feel like McKenna is underrated here. He’s only 25. We jumped him straight from Bowie. In his 35 career AAA games, he has 14 HR. What if we would’ve just left him alone and not had him just sit on the bench the last two seasons?  

I think it’s unfair to just dub him an org guy. He’s only 1 year older than AR, and in 11 less career AAA games, has 8 more HR. 

He could be a good 4th OF but he can’t hit the plus heat. I haven’t given up but would love to see Diaz. McKenna better defensively of course.

4 hours ago, seak05 said:

Fun fact, Mckenna has a higher war this season then Mancini (& several other orioles players)

Where are you seeing that? rWAR has Mancini at +0.6 and McKenna at +0.1. fWAR has Mancini at +0.4 and McKenna at +0.3.

Though with Mancini's HR yesterday maybe he was behind in fWAR before that.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Where are you seeing that? rWAR has Mancini at +0.6 and McKenna at +0.1. fWAR has Mancini at +0.4 and McKenna at +0.3.

Though with Mancini's HR yesterday maybe he was behind in fWAR before that.

fWAR, but yeah it flipped with Mancini's HR last night