Calling out the pitchers

Going Underground

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Thank you. This was the lightest "call out" I've ever heard. Zimmermann was quoted as fully agreeing. I think guys embrace this kind of talk. The Orioles are giving them opportunity. They are slightly older guys and your development staff can only do so much. You can tell Kremer why it's bad to throw his cutter a million times in a row, but you can't make him not do it. These guys have an insane amount of information and technology and data at their disposal and good coaches to explain it to them. All of that is newly provided by Elias and his team. It's up to the players now. These aren't 22 yr olds. They've made the big leagues, it's about results now.

How long is it "new"?

15 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Mike Elias is somewhat right to call out the pitchers.Many of the Orioles starters are not that young anymore besides Grayson and DL Hall. Time for some of them to step up or be gone.

Akin is 27 .Baumann soon will be 27.Kremer is 26 Tyler Wells soon 28. Bruce Zimmermann is 27.

Kyle Bradish will soon be 26.Zac Lowther is 26 this month.Cody Sedlock soon will be 27.

The time has come. To says fair's fair.To pay the rent.To do their share.

How bad can they pitch this year?

The ERA is alarming.

I'm disappointed in myself.

20 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Because our young stud pitchers will soon be flanking!

Soon this Orioles team will be cranking!

And then they'll have have a higher ranking!

I don't know if you guys are referencing something that I am missing but all I can think of is the Monorail Song from The Simpsons.

• Haha 1

On 4/7/2022 at 7:18 AM, wildcard said:

Let's get the ages right first.  Baseball age is traditional determined by how old a player is on July 1st.

While that's true, it makes more sense to just give their real age with a decimal point or two.  It's a little wacky to claim that Nelson Cruz and Manny Machado, with birthdays right around July 1st, are a year younger or older than players born within a week of them.

Tyler Nevin and Jahmai Jones are about two months apart in age.  It doesn't really benefit us to claim that Nevin is a year older and in some ways its probably a little detrimental to analysis. Especially if you're comparing two 18 or 19-year-olds for whom a year could be a big deal.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

While that's true, it makes more sense to just give their real age with a decimal point or two.  It's a little wacky to claim that Nelson Cruz and Manny Machado, with birthdays right around July 1st, are a year younger or older than players born within a week of them.

Tyler Nevin and Jahmai Jones are about two months apart in age.  It doesn't really benefit us to claim that Nevin is a year older and in some ways its probably a little detrimental to analysis. Especially if you're comparing two 18 or 19-year-olds for whom a year could be a big deal.

Fair enough.   Age on Opening Day:

22.143 Grayson Rodriguez

23.201 DL Hall

24.119 Alex Wells

24.330 Kevin Smith

25.208 Kyle Bradish

25.343 Zac Lowther

26.091 Dean Kremer

26.210 Michael Baumann

27.007 Keegan Akin

27.058 Bruce Zimmermann

27.225 Tyler Wells

28.349 John Means

31.171 Jordan Lyles

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Fair enough.   Age on Opening Day:

22.143 Grayson Rodriguez

23.201 DL Hall

24.119 Alex Wells

24.330 Kevin Smith

25.208 Kyle Bradish

25.343 Zac Lowther

26.091 Dean Kremer

26.210 Michael Baumann

27.007 Keegan Akin

27.058 Bruce Zimmermann

27.225 Tyler Wells

28.349 John Means

31.171 Jordan Lyles

I love how you've listed this to three decimal points.  .001 of a year is eight hours, 45 minutes and 36 seconds.  Although I'm curious where you got birth data that precise.  Even for myself all I know is that I was born sometime in the afternoon, when the Blue Angels were flying around the county on Air Show day.

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I love how you've listed this to three decimal points.  .001 of a year is eight hours, 45 minutes and 36 seconds.  Although I'm curious where you got birth data that precise.  Even for myself all I know is that I was born sometime in the afternoon, when the Blue Angels were flying around the county on Air Show day.

Those aren't thousandths.  Note that every number group after the decimal point is < 365.   

That is the notation that baseball reference uses to show someone's age.

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Those aren't thousandths.  Note that every number group after the decimal point is < 365.   

That is the notation that baseball reference uses to show someone's age.

Really?  So 25.185 is 25 and 185 days?  Huh.  So I didn't have to put on the engineer hat and chastise @Frobbyfor decimal point abuse?  You're taking the fun out of everything.

Baseball and their non-standard decimals.  7.1 innings is really 7.3333333, and 30.098 is really 30 and 98/365ths* years. Makes spreadsheets hell to calculate.

* WHAT ABOUT LEAP YEARS?!?  It's really 98/365.25ths.  Ugh.

1 hour ago, Barnaby Graves said:

I don't know if you guys are referencing something that I am missing but all I can think of is the Monorail Song from The Simpsons.

I think it started with Midnight Oil’s “Beds are Burning”.

10 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

I think it started with Midnight Oil’s “Beds are Burning”.

Yes,almost went with Forgotten Years which might be more appropriate. But more obscure song 

The hardest years, the darkest yrs, the roarin' yrs, the fallen yrs
These should not be forgotten yrs
The hardest yrs, the wildest yrs, the desperate and divided yrs
We will remember, these should not be forgotten yrs.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The decimal points are days.   So 22.143 means 22 years, 143 days.