Grayson Rodriguez 2022

justD

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

So how do they transition Grayson to the major league rotation with 4 days rest?  Do they do that in the minors or in the majors?

I think in reality major league pitchers get an extra day of rest about half their starts.  For example, last year Sandy Alcantra tied for the major league lead in total starts, with 33, but he started on four days’ rest only 17 times, the rest were all 5+.   

This year may be slightly different since the season started late so they’re cramming the 162 games into a few less days.  

So back to your question, I think pretty much every minor league starter is in the same boat.   I think they’ll transition him to four days’ rest while in the majors, but figure out a way to cram an extra day of rest into his schedule once in a while.   

• Upvote 4

Anyone else see the start by Logan Gilbert last night? His season so far is what I would expect and hope Grayson’s will be. And when things go a bit south for him, I swear birdland will melt down. 

Still, cannot wait. 

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

So how do they transition Grayson to the major league rotation with 4 days rest?  Do they do that in the minors or in the majors?

I think it is in play that they don't.   We'll see.

Near exclusive 5-days rest gave the 2021 Brewers a peak Pedro season from Corbin Burnes, with a "physically unable to pitch" October chaser.    There's nothing the 2022 Orioles need to do where Rodriguez is needed on the 5th instead of the 6th day, save perhaps preparing him a little if they expect different in 2023.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Just pulled.   Got a chance at the 6th inning in a 0-0 game, but two of first three got on base before the hook at 82 pitches.   5/3 K/BB on the night bad by his standards.

I’m disappointed they pulled him.  Time for him to be challenged.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I think it is in play that they don't.   We'll see.

Near exclusive 5-days rest gave the 2021 Brewers a peak Pedro season from Corbin Burnes, with a "physically unable to pitch" October chaser.    There's nothing the 2022 Orioles need to do where Rodriguez is needed on the 5th instead of the 6th day, save perhaps preparing him a little if they expect different in 2023.

I heard today that the Angels are going to keep their top 3 pitchers on a day 6 rotation (Ohtani, Syndergard, and 1 young pitcher (can't remember his name).  They would fill in other pitchers around those 3 pitchers.  Reason was that Ohtani only pitched once 1 week in Japan and obviously Syndergard's injury history.   Probably protecting the young pitcher too.

1 hour ago, oldfan said:

Having never seen him pitch, can he get big league hitters out in the strike zone?

Yes.  He has a four pix mix and when he’s on (has all pitches going) the batters are defenseless.  When he’s not on he’s very tough because the stuff is that good.  On top of that he’s an elite competitor.   He is going to be fun to watch for a long time.  

I watched the first 4 innings.  

96-97 first 3 innings. Saw a 94 in the 4th and some pitches at 90-91 so I'm not sure if they were regular fastballs or not. He was predominantly fastball/changeup from what I could see.  I missed one pitch I heard the announcer call a curve but I did not see one myself.  I think I saw a few sliders/cutters. They didn't have a lot of break.  It seemed like a lot of pitches caught the middle of the plate and most were belt high to top of the strike zone.  There weren't many hard hit balls but I wasn't impressed by his command last night.  Good control. Not so great command LAST NIGHT.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1