Grayson Rodriguez 2022

justD

Just checked Corbin Burnes game log and they haven't asked him to perform that Herculean labor of starting a game on four days rest yet this year.    Regular plug 5 days rest did beat 4 for first time in MLB history last year.

I would say the new 5-days rest standard would go with 6-man rotations except that I don't believe 4th and 5th starters really exist anymore.   The offdays let it be 6-days, 5-games reasonably often.

(Oh, and Jordan Lyles pitches every 5th day).

16 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

He should not be rushed. People calling for that are misguided. Elias should have targeted better stopgaps and this team would be much better imo.

Well we've had this conversation many times, "rushed" is a very ambiguous term.  I'm of the opinion that he could've started the season in Baltimore and been just fine, but the Orioles are obviously taking a different approach.  I'm just saying that if we wait until he never has a bad start in the minors to promote him then he's never going to be promoted.  The best pitchers have off days every now and then.

5 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Well we've had this conversation many times, "rushed" is a very ambiguous term.  I'm of the opinion that he could've started the season in Baltimore and been just fine, but the Orioles are obviously taking a different approach.  I'm just saying that if we wait until he never has a bad start in the minors to promote him then he's never going to be promoted.  The best pitchers have off days every now and then.

The main things holding him back are how he's been developed by the O's.

Can he hold his stuff over 100 pitches?  We don't know because the O's don't let him get to 100 pitches.

Can he pitch every fifth day?  We don't know because the O's haven't had him on a five day rotation.

I'm in favor, at least at AA and AAA, to have your pitchers working under the same constraints they will be in the majors.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can he hold his stuff over 100 pitches?  We don't know because the O's don't let him get to 100 pitches.

Can he pitch every fifth day?  We don't know because the O's haven't had him on a five day rotation.

I'm in favor, at least at AA and AAA, to have your pitchers working under the same constraints they will be in the majors.

It’s such a weird developmental philosophy/implementation. Where else would you be training for a profession and be kept in this sheltered environment, without key check marks being checked, and then thrown into the profession around the most talent you have ever faced saying “good luck”.

• Upvote 1

I think it is different with pitching than hitting.   Pitches are just data, and I think the quants feel like the batter's input is irrelevant to the pitcher's practice of the craft.    I believe it is in play the good Orioles SP will start on four days rest as rarely as the Brewers do.

Hitting I see it the opposite.    I believe some problems a hitter will encounter, working through them seeing MLB pitching is the only fix...the only way out is through.   White Sox Andrew Vaughn 2021 - there were some post mortems he didn't give them anything a replacement reserve outfielder couldn't have, and indeed those were his 2021 outcomes.   I think each hundred of those 469 PA's are contributing to him excelling in Year2 so far.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I’m curious if other teams have their top pitching prospects on a five day rotation these days.   The way the schedule is set up now, with every Monday being a day off, if you use a five-man rotation each pitcher is going to get an extra day off 4 weeks out of every five.   So the alternatives are (1) use a four man rotation and insert an extra starter when you need to avoid having a pitcher go on three days rest, or (2) have one starter who goes every fifth day and push back the other four guys whenever that pitcher’s turn comes around.  Neither of those alternatives are ideal.   

Looking around the International League, no starter has thrown more than 5 starts, same as Rodriguez.   So I’m not sure other teams are rotating their top MiL starters differently than the O’s.

Now the innings/pitch limits, that may be another story.   

I'm not worried over Rodriguez. It was a tough week, but it appears they had him working on fastball command and had him throw more fastballs than usual, or at least it seemed that way. He really didn't have the feel for his off-speed in the second game last week and i didn't see the first one.

Yesterday he didn't have his good stuff, but if the Tides had an adequate defensive outfielder in LF his numbers would have looked better. He still got a lot of swings and misses.