Grayson Rodriguez 2022

justD

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Looked good today. Can't wait to see him with a less weirdly-angled CF camera, which I feel makes his stuff look more underwhelming than it is. 

I was wondering about the angle.  Didn’t look like his breaking stuff was A+ today.  Blew some guys away with fastballs but didn’t see a ton of swing and miss on breaking stuff.  Good outing against a solid lineup. 

My impressions of the game (I stopped watching once Grayson was out):

- Wild high throughout the first inning and showed his frustration on the mound.   I wasn’t too happy with his body language that inning.  
- Starts the leadoff batter in the 2nd with two nasty pitches for strikes, then hangs a breaking ball that’s hit for a double.   But, he induces a lunging pop fly to left and strikes out the next two.   
- The third hit also was on an 0-2 pitch, but it was pretty well thrown low and away and just a soft flare over the infield.   The runner was quickly erased on a DP grounder.    
- The other hit was a triple in the RF corner.   Seems like Stowers must have been playing toward the alley because it took him forever to get to that ball.   I believe Rodriguez got to 2 strikes on the next hitter but threw a pitch in a not great location that turned into a pretty deep sac fly.  
- Overall, I didn’t think Grayson was at his sharpest today.   Aside from his wild high first inning, he threw a fair number of pitches that weren’t anywhere near the strike zone, and the left a few over the middle that cost him.   I twice saw him go 3-2 on a hitter when he’d been ahead 0-2, and most of those pitches weren’t tempting.   
- Even so, he threw a lot of nasty, unhittable pitches as well.  I saw at least a couple diving change ups that produced strikeouts where the batter looked foolish.   
- As usual, I would have liked to see him challenged to go another inning.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, hutchead said:

What are the odds Elias shocks us and calls Adley up on Monday and Grayson  up on Tuesday?

Even if he called Grayson up next week, I bet he’d get him an extra day of rest before throwing him into the grind.  

I’d say there’s a non-zero chance, but I’d bet on Grayson staying down a bit longer.   I do think we see Adley next week sometime.   

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Even if he called Grayson up next week, I bet he’d get him an extra day of rest before throwing him into the grind.  

I’d say there’s a non-zero chance, but I’d bet on Grayson staying down a bit longer.   I do think we see Adley next week sometime.   

Yeah, I don't think it happens either but Grayson did pitch on four days rest today which lines him up for Tuesday. And we'll need a starter that day since today was a bullpen game. Great way for Elias to make a 1-2 splash since Ben McDonald hinted we would see Adley on Monday.

13 minutes ago, hutchead said:

Yeah, I don't think it happens either but Grayson did pitch on four days rest today which lines him up for Tuesday. And we'll need a starter that day since today was a bullpen game. Great way for Elias to make a 1-2 splash since Ben McDonald hinted we would see Adley on Monday.

No, today was a bullpen game because of the Sunday double header, that irons out the next time through the schedule. Tuesday would be Watkins on normal rest.

1 hour ago, seak05 said:

No, today was a bullpen game because of the Sunday double header, that irons out the next time through the schedule. Tuesday would be Watkins on normal rest.

It wouldn't really be normal rest because Watkins pitched yesterday which makes his normal turn on Monday. But I think we can all agree that whenever Grayson does debut, it will be Watkins who he replaces so now makes the perfect time to make that happen. But again, knowing Elias, that won't happen.

I understand and agree that Grayson is ready for the majors, but...

I still think he's getting used to the ball in AAA. I know that was kind of dismissed after his start, but he hasn't been very sharp on several outings in a row. I also think a lot of his K's are coming on high fastballs that pros are more likely to lay off of.

This is nitpicking, but I don't think he's at his best at this moment. That's still likely better than 1/2 of the major league starters right now. Can't wait until he really settles in.

Stretching out his K-BB% lead over the Meyers and Liberatores of the world.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=2&stats=pit&qual=y&type=1&team=&season=2022&seasonEnd=2022&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=11,1

Magnificently, if you toggle International League to Pacific Coast League, #1 in K-BB% today is Cesar Valdez.

On 5/13/2022 at 4:41 PM, Just Regular said:

Stretching out his K-BB% lead over the Meyers and Liberatores of the world.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=2&stats=pit&qual=y&type=1&team=&season=2022&seasonEnd=2022&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=11,1

Magnificently, if you toggle International League to Pacific Coast League, #1 in K-BB% today is Cesar Valdez.

Ole'!