Jordan Westburg 2022

Just Regular

I don’t believe they are going to turn over the whole IF this off-season.  Best guess is Henderson at 3B, Mateo or Ortiz at SS, Ortiz or Urías at 2B, with Westburg roving between all three spots, DH, and 1B.    Urías or Mateo get moved.  The other stays a starter to open next season.

I think everyone knows the best defensive lineup without a doubt is Henderson 3B, Mateo at SS, and Ortiz at 2B.   

37 minutes ago, waroriole said:

With the offense so awful, and Westburg dialed in now, there’s no excuse to not DFA Aguilar and bring up Westburg. 

Yes, there is a reason.  They would have to use a 40-man roster spot.  You might question if that’s a good enough reason, but it’s a reason.  

Roster Resource lists Gunnar (along with Adley) with all three of his Options in place, likely never to be used outside roster management scenarios.

If Westburg got an Aguilar DFA cup of coffee, the Club could still slide him back off the 40 before the Rule 5, right?

There's a tipping point somewhere it'd probably be too dirty poker to do that to Gunnar or Adley, and in Westburg's case maybe more risk as in the coming years Up Down guy could still be somewhere on the lower part of his range of outcomes. 

8 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Roster Resource lists Gunnar (along with Adley) with all three of his Options in place, likely never to be used outside roster management scenarios.

If Westburg got an Aguilar DFA cup of coffee, the Club could still slide him back off the 40 before the Rule 5, right? 

No.  Once on the 40, the only way off is to be DFA, in which case he’d surely be claimed.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Yes, there is a reason.  They would have to use a 40-man roster spot.  You might question if that’s a good enough reason, but it’s a reason.  

DFA Aguilar. Problem solved. 

EDIT: Oh you mean a 40 man spot this off-season. Yes, that is not a good enough reason. We’re trying to make the playoffs. Even if we weren’t you call him up and see if he can be useful next season. It’s a really poor move leaving him in Norfolk all year. 

Edited by waroriole
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, wildcard said:

Henderson's combination of offense and defense probably pushes Mateo to the bench.   But Mateo is valuable for his defense and he can play SS/2B and all  three OF positions.   Hyde can find places to use Mateo.

I keep asking why would anyone ever have Mateo in a game and not have him at shortstop. I think Henderson should be at third and Mateo at short. When Holliday makes it in 2-3 years, then move Mateo. I don't think you want to move Henderson around as a cornerstone of the team in the years to come.

Westburg was mentioned as a possible outfielder on another thread.  How would he do in left field?  Is his speed above average?  I feel that he is likely to have a higher OBP than Hays and be a better run producer.  Questionable whether the O's will want to keep Hays with his poor production.  Seems like Hays trade value would be low with how his second half performance has been. 

On 9/17/2022 at 10:42 PM, orioles22 said:

I keep asking why would anyone ever have Mateo in a game and not have him at shortstop. I think Henderson should be at third and Mateo at short. When Holliday makes it in 2-3 years, then move Mateo. I don't think you want to move Henderson around as a cornerstone of the team in the years to come.

Mateo is just fun to watch (though it was hard for a stretch there). I like him and that skews my thoughts on this, I'm sure...but I would love to see him stay on the team, but I don't know that he will be the "everyday" SS next year. I tend to agree that if he's in the lineup, he should be at SS. It's not like the minors where Henderson, Ortiz and Westburg moved all over to get everyone time at SS. That was for development purposes, this is The Show. 

I do think Mateo loses some playing time next year. He plays maybe 4ish days a week, almost exclusively at SS. I do think there's a scenario where he could go in to 2B or the OF for a few innings late in a game due to injury or something rather than completely shaking up the defense to put him at SS, slide someone else to 2B or the OF or whatever. But in terms of games started, I tend to agree. 

I think Henderson splits time between 3B and SS next year with Mateo at SS when Henderson is at 3B and Urias at 3B when he's at SS. Urias and Mateo both become half-time players both likely play against LHP most of the time with Urias possibly at 2B in those scenarios or Henderson getting a day off or a partial day at DH. I'd like to see Westburg and Ortiz battle it out for primary playing time at 2B in the spring. Vavra may get some time there, but will also get some time in the OF. 

I think Hyde will have a lot of different lineups next year with a lot of versatility which is great. We will see some match up plays not just related to platoon splits, but also to pitching/hitting styles (high ball hitters, breaking ball hitters, etc). I do think there are enough ABs to go around for Henderson, Mateo, Urias, and Westburg/Ortiz in the 2B/SS/3B positions and enough ABs for Mullins, Santander, Stowers, Hays and McKenna in the OF, particularly when you factor in the DH position and, hopefully, some 1B play for someone like Santander or Stowers with some work there this offseason. 

The whole thing gets more complicated, however, IF the Orioles add a bat in the offseason. I would LOVE to add someone like Trea Turner to the mix, but that would necessitate a trade of Mateo and/or Urias to make it work. 

• Upvote 1

I think people are sleeping on the "star gets first pick" way that teams do things. Henderson will likely be the SS next year, IMO. He's the star. He's not going to be happy about going to a less valuable position, and even if he's a great guy, teams aren't going to want to do that.

So Henderson will be SS, which means Mateo essentially has to go or be a UIF. Ortiz at 2B eventually and Urias/Westburg at 3B. 

55 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I think people are sleeping on the "star gets first pick" way that teams do things. Henderson will likely be the SS next year, IMO. He's the star. He's not going to be happy about going to a less valuable position, and even if he's a great guy, teams aren't going to want to do that.

So Henderson will be SS, which means Mateo essentially has to go or be a UIF. Ortiz at 2B eventually and Urias/Westburg at 3B. 

Henderson has tolerated playing SS only part time in the minors for two years now.  I think the O’s will base their decisions on the best defensive alignment, not Henderson’s ego.  Especially since Ortiz is probably a better defensive SS than Henderson, too, and may outhit Mateo.