Jordan Westburg 2022

Just Regular

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Let’s get back on topic - Westburg.  He certainly surprised me with his power numbers this year - 27 homers, 39 doubles, .231 ISO vs. 15 homers, 27 doubles, .194 ISO in 2021.   I wonder how well that will carry over to the majors.  

Westburg actually had more PA at Norfolk this year than any other player.  I think he’s about as ready for the majors as he’s going to be.   

I think the only thing that kept him out of the big leagues this year was he doesn't need to be on the 40-man over the winter (which I know has been state before). It'll definitely be an interesting battle in Spring Training...at least it'll give us something more to talk about than who is going to be the backup catcher (it's going to be the guy who swings lefty, though can't hit, as opposed to the guy who swings right, and still can't hit...)

So to segue from the Fangraphs take on Westburg ("fringy" defense) back to this thread, sorry if I'm not up to speed but is that an accurate take? It seems folks around here are more upbeat about Westburg as an all-around player or even plus defender. What am I missing? And if the defense is fringy, couldn't he be competition for 1B or LF, a la Mountcastle and Vavra?

31 minutes ago, now said:

So to segue from the Fangraphs take on Westburg ("fringy" defense) back to this thread, sorry if I'm not up to speed but is that an accurate take? It seems folks around here are more upbeat about Westburg as an all-around player or even plus defender. What am I missing? And if the defense is fringy, couldn't he be competition for 1B or LF, a la Mountcastle and Vavra?

Westburg played more SS than any other position in the minors this season.  He does not have the range at SS that Mateo, Gunnar or Ortiz have.  That is where I think think the fringy defense comment comes from.

However Westburg plays 2B well.  Maybe not has well as Ortiz but he will probably out hit Ortiz.  So there is a trade off there.  And Westburg probably begins the year in the majors while Ortiz being at AAA.

Westburg is a polished defensive player which will probably allow him to play other positions like 3B, 1B and maybe even the corner outfield positions.   His bat should be in the lineup somewhere most days.   I can see him being Mountcastle's backup at 1B because of his 6'3" size.    His speed is rated at 55 which is above average which is good enough for a corner outfield spot.  And his bat will allow him to DH.

Ortiz is a flashier infielder.   And will commit less errors when playing 2B/SS.

JMO from what I have read.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m looking forward to Tony’s write-up on Westburg to see if anything’s changed since last year.   Personally I have the feeling that Westburg’s defense is underrated.   Yes, he ranks behind Ortiz who is truly outstanding and Henderson who’s very, very good.  But otherwise, I think that’s not really a criticism and that he’ll be solid at either 2B or 3B, maybe a little fringy at SS but still not bad.  

Here’s what Tony said last year:

“Defensively, he has very good instincts at shortstop along with good range and hands. His only downfall is an average at best arm that may suggest his better future is at second base. However, there are times he shows good arm strength so he may be one of those guys with a great game clock who knows how much he needs on the ball to get a runner out by a half step. Outside of Cadyn Grenier and maybe Joey Ortiz, Westburg is the best defensive shortstop in the system.”

Now, I think Gunnar probably has passed Westburg as a defensive SS, but that’s more due to Gunnar improving his consistency than any downgrade of Westburg.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

Westburg is vanilla with hot fudge.  The hot fudge is his plus bat and baseball IQ.  He's a staple that can have a place on pretty much any infield.  His "issue" is that Gunnar casts a big shadow, Ortiz' defense is superlative (and his bat seems plus as well), Norby's bat seems on par with Westburg without the defensive flexibility, plus throw the current Mateo magic, the Holliday Event Horizon, and oh yeah Hernaiz/Bencosme/Young...  Vanilla with hot fudge has a spot in the best of restaurants.  But it gets lost when they're some hot homemade goods on the menu at varying price points too.

The team dubbed him the MiLB POY to add a brownie, whip cream, and cherry on top to complete the marketing package!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

Westburg is vanilla with hot fudge.  The hot fudge is his plus bat and baseball IQ.  He's a staple that can have a place on pretty much any infield.  His "issue" is that Gunnar casts a big shadow, Ortiz' defense is superlative (and his bat seems plus as well), Norby's bat seems on par with Westburg without the defensive flexibility, plus throw the current Mateo magic, the Holliday Event Horizon, and oh yeah Hernaiz/Bencosme/Young...  Vanilla with hot fudge has a spot in the best of restaurants.  But it gets lost when they're some hot homemade goods on the menu at varying price points too.

The team dubbed him the MiLB POY to add a brownie, whip cream, and cherry on top to complete the marketing package!

Are you hungry?

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

It is an interesting cat and mouse game, but I think the cherry on top might be playing him a few solid months in MLB.

If 2022 2B Odor was to help Mateo settle in, why not 2023 2B Westburg to help Gunnar settle in (and vice versa)?    

Does Elias feel a few hundred MLB PA would help or hurt Westburg's trade value?      He's promising enough in his own right I want to see just in case he's the keeper of the whole bunch.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Are you hungry?

:D With an ice cream problem!

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

It is an interesting cat and mouse game, but I think the cherry on top might be playing him a few solid months in MLB.

If 2022 2B Odor was to help Mateo settle in, why not 2023 2B Westburg to help Gunnar settle in (and vice versa)?    

Does Elias feel a few hundred MLB PA would help or hurt Westburg's trade value?      He's promising enough in his own right I want to see just in case he's the keeper of the whole bunch.

Great point about the cherry on top! ML ABs would kick it up a notch!  

It's really not fair of me to say Westburg is vanilla because he does have a ton of potential.  If he can play Super U...  or 1B... or LF...  Or we trade Mateo...  Lots of potential paths to ABs.  I'm pretty sure he understands the value he adds to the team with his positional flexibility, and he seems athletic enough that they could add more to his plate?  But Pete Michaud (voice of the Tides) thinks Westburg fits best defensively at 2B.

The odds of Westburg winning the starting 2B gig is probably as high as any of the other options including FA.

Are you comparing Odor and Westburg to emotional support pets?  

39 minutes ago, WI O’s Fan said:

Elias likes him at 2nd.    Henderson at 3rd and Mateo at ss.  I guess they add an of bat in left/ dh. 

They have an two outfield bats in 1) Stowers who is available to begin the season and 2) Cowser who be ready by sometime in May.   They also have a DH in Norby who could be ready in May.    It will be interesting to see if they spend in this area.

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

They have an two outfield bats in 1) Stowers who is available to begin the season and 2) Cowser who be ready by sometime in May.   They also have a DH in Norby who could be ready in May.    It will be interesting to see if they spend in this area.

First I’ve heard of Norby being a DH.