Luis Barrera vs McKenna vs Stewart at 4th OFer

wildcard

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/04/athletics-claim-gabe-klobosits-waivers-nationals-dfa-luis-barrera.html

The A's DFA'd outfielder Luis Barrera (26).  He hits and throws lefty.  Pipeline  rates him:  50 Hit,  35 power, 70 run, 55 arm,  55 field

Ryan McKenna (25) Hits and throws righty. Pipeline rated him in 2020:                            45-50 Hit, 40-45 power, 60-65 run,   50 arm, 55-60 field

Barrera better  run and arm.  Not as much power.

Stewart has more power but is not as good a fielder.  

All three have options.

Would you claim Barrera and put him or McKenna at AAA and DFA Stewart?

(Of course the A's trade Barrera.  I doubt the O's would trade for him.  But if he does not get claimed?)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/barrelu01.shtml

• Upvote 1

Good topic.  Fangraphs had Barrera 31st in Oakland’s system and graded him 70 run and arm, 45 field, 40/45 hit, 50 raw power but 30 game power.   

As between Barrera and McKenna, I think it boils down to who the O’s think has the better hit tool.   Tie goes to the incumbent.   

As to DFAing Stewart to make room, I’m pretty indifferent.   Different skill sets entirely.  But I don’t see having both Barrera and McKenna on a major league roster together, whereas I do see having Stewart and one of the other two.  I know I’m probably one of the few people here who has any patience remaining with Stewart.

Triple A already has a full OF (even down at triple-A I don't see many starts in the OF for Stewart) of guys you want to play. You're basically asking if he is a better defensive replacement/PR then McKenna, and I mean maybe but it would only be marginal if that (mostly due to the lefty bat)

11 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

Would you trade Stewart for Barrera?

Yes,   I don't think Stewart makes it on the 40 man roster for another couple of months.   I don't know whether Barrera is better than McKenna but the O's don't have to make that  decision for a while.   One can be the majors and the other in the minors.

And as I said he probably gets traded to someone other than the O's.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Barrera is lefty on a most righty team,  McKenna is righty.

Vavra is playing CF of the Tides.   Barrera is faster probably with better range and arm.

I have zero interest in playing Barrera over vavra in triple a

50 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I have zero interest in playing Barrera over vavra in triple a

Barrera has 70 speed.   Vavra has 50 speed.

Its about collecting talent.

And when Hays is injured for a month.  What then?  I don't think Diaz, Vavra or Stowers have the speed to play LF at home.

Barrera has 70 speed.   Vavra has 50 speed.

Its about collecting talent.

And when Hays is injured for a month.  What then?  I don't think Diaz, Vavra or Stowers have the speed to play LF at home.

Vavra Is a far better hitter.   Barrera probably is the better outfielder, but I want Vavra to continue developing.  

I think you are overestimating the extent to which the change in the LF dimensions is going to change the calculus between offense vs. defense trade offs in LF.   Guys like Vavra and Stowers are certainly fast enough to cover the extra ground.   Diaz may be a little challenged.   

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Vavra Is a far better hitter.   Barrera probably is the better outfielder, but I want Vavra to continue developing.  

I think you are overestimating the extent to which the change in the LF dimensions is going to change the calculus between offense vs. defense trade offs in LF.   Guys like Vavra and Stowers are certainly fast enough to cover the extra ground.   Diaz may be a little challenged.   

Vavra, Stowers  and Diaz are all rated as 50  speed.   The left fielder in Camden has to cover almost as much ground as the center fielder.

Vavra, Stowers  and Diaz are all rated as 50  speed.   The left fielder in Camden has to cover almost as much ground as the center fielder.

All you keep doing is mentioning speed grades.  I thought we were talking about building a baseball team, not a track team?

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think you are significantly over-concerned with left field and the need for speed there. Don't think it will play out quite as you think. Sure it's nice to have speed in that position at home, but a true outfielder like Diaz, despite his lack of speed, will be fine out there for the most part.

15 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think you are significantly over-concerned with left field and the need for speed there. Don't think it will play out quite as you think. Sure it's nice to have speed in that position at home, but a true outfielder like Diaz, despite his lack of speed, will be fine out there for the most part.

It's not like they are not positioning OF'ers from the dugout. I can't wait to see the new LF. 

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Last year O’s center fielders made 438 putouts.   The left fielders made 299.   Even adding in say 25 extra balls in play, a LF does not need to cover the same ground a CF does, and there just aren’t as many opportunities.

By the way, last year Fangraphs gave Diaz a 40 speed grade.  That’s why I said he may be a little challenged.