Raise your hand if you think Watkins was a better choice than Bradish?

Tony-OH

18 minutes ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

Ok why should we care what KC and Sea are doing? Do these prospects starting the year at the ML benefit these teams to the point of making them a contender? Bringing up guys doesn’t change the fact the Orioles lose 90-100 games this year. You play the service game and start making the moves after a month. And if you expect a contender next year or it’s a failed rebuild then you might at well consider it a fail now. You’re looking at a .500 ball club next year. I don’t get how people don’t understand the logic that Elias is working here. 

I'm ok with playing service time for guys like Adley and Grayson Rodrigueuz, I'm not for the Bradish's of the world. 

I understand just fine how Elias' logic works, I just don't agree with it with guys like Bradish. Then again, this entire franchise is run like a rural Alabama Dollar Store. 

We'll see though. Outside of these service games, I'm getting very concerned that Elias and his staff have any clue on how to properly develop pitching to be successful at the major league level.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Because manipulating service time just isn’t needed for most prospects.  The best of the best?  Sure.  But a 25 year old pitcher who is likely a borderline starter anyway?  No, it’s not needed.  Get your guys up, give them the experience they need and see what you have.

Is it a huge deal if they wait a few weeks?  No.  But doesn’t mean they should either.  

While I respect your point of view I’m also looking at the glass as half full. Baseball is just starting so some of the causal fans will tune in and go to the park before the record is really ugly. However when going into June and 15 games out of the WC spots it’ll be more exciting to go watch prospects and lose and not focus on the record as much. Bradish should be here within the next 20 days if that. 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's a MLB VP position.

It's an end of career path level get.

If it was someone like Duquette at the end of his career wanting one more shot at position like that maybe that would make sense.

Someone under 40 putting themselves in a position to specatularly fail and limit their career propspects moving forward - no way to spin that into a theory that makes sense.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm ok with playing service time for guys like Adley and Grayson Rodrigueuz, I'm not for the Bradish's of the world. 

I understand just fine how Elias' logic works, I just don't agree with it with guys like Bradish. Then again, this entire franchise is run like a rural Alabama Dollar Store. 

We'll see though. Outside of these service games, I'm getting very concerned that Elias and his staff have any clue on how to properly develop pitching to be successful at the major league level.

I just Posted In the bullpen thread about my concern with the pitching and lack of innings from the starters. Is there a site to monitor stats like what teams SP have the most innings and so on? 

Just now, geschinger said:

If it was someone like Duquette at the end of his career wanting one more shot at position like that maybe that would make sense.

Someone under 40 putting themselves in a position to specatularly fail and limit their career propspects moving forward - no way to spin that into a theory that makes sense.

Of course you can..it’s simple.  Ownership.

He can easily say that he did what was asked and what he said he wanted to do but when it came time for them to spend, they wouldn’t do it.  

It’s the Angelos family, so it’s totally believable.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

Ok why should we care what KC and Sea are doing? Do these prospects starting the year at the ML benefit these teams to the point of making them a contender? Bringing up guys doesn’t change the fact the Orioles lose 90-100 games this year. You play the service game and start making the moves after a month. And if you expect a contender next year or it’s a failed rebuild then you might at well consider it a fail now. You’re looking at a .500 ball club next year. I don’t get how people don’t understand the logic that Elias is working here. 

I don't like the Orioles being as conservative as they are but I look at a team like Seattle and wonder if they are not doing their top prospects a disservice.  Is Jarred Kelenic being overmatched by MLB pitching at this point in his career the best thing for his development.  I'm not convinced it is.

That doesn't apply to someone like Braddish which I cannot justify in any way him being in Norfolk and not in Baltimore.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He can easily say that he did what was asked and what he said he wanted to do but when it came time for them to spend, they wouldn’t do it.  

Which is what I’ve wondered since he was hired. How much freedom does he really have? I wouldn’t be surprised to find out he had restrictions from the beginning.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That's a different scenario - one in which he's misled or lied to. 

The theory presented was that he willingly took a job where his role is to slash payroll and nothing else.  That makes no logical sense whatsoever for someone like Elias to take that job.

6 minutes ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

I just Posted In the bullpen thread about my concern with the pitching and lack of innings from the starters. Is there a site to monitor stats like what teams SP have the most innings and so on? 

@Frobbyis the Baseball Reference master that can probably dig something up if he has time!

3 minutes ago, geschinger said:

That's a different scenario - one in which he's misled or lied to. 

The theory that he willingly took a job where his role is to slash payroll and nothing else.  That makes no logical sense whatsoever for someone like Elias to take that job.

Of course it does.  He has taken an organization that had nothing positive going for it and has given it an analytics dept, an international presence, a DR facility, a very good MiL system and a foundation to build upon long term.

And he accomplished that all the while having a poor ownership group that isn’t dedicated to winning at the ML level at all..at least not in the first 4 years of the job.

That is a huge feather in his cap.

Everyone knows where the organization was as of 2018.  

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Of course it does.  He has taken an organization that had nothing positive going for it and has given it an analytics dept, an international presence, a DR facility, a very good MiL system and a foundation to build upon long term.

And he accomplished that all the while having a poor ownership group that isn’t dedicated to winning at the ML level at all..at least not in the first 4 years of the job.

That is a huge feather in his cap.

Everyone knows where the organization was as of 2018.  

And that’s exactly why everyone should agree with the process. Because now it’s going to start showing at the ML level. All that rebuilding with a lost season? I think we are lucky to have Elias and he deserves more time to build this ML team. 

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Bradish is going to be 26 years old in September there’s no good reason to keep him at Norfolk any longer.

I hope this isn’t a Sig recommendation to keep Bradish in MILB because this pattern will continue to repeat with every other prospect. 

2 minutes ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

And that’s exactly why everyone should agree with the process. Because now it’s going to start showing at the ML level. All that rebuilding with a lost season? I think we are lucky to have Elias and he deserves more time to build this ML team. 

Well, the team shouldn’t be tanking this year.  That’s inexcusable.  The product on the field should have been enhanced.  

And the whole rebuilding thing is a myth anyway but whatever, no need to get back into that. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, the team shouldn’t be tanking this year.  That’s inexcusable.  The product on the field should have been enhanced.  

And the whole rebuilding thing is a myth anyway but whatever, no need to get back into that. 

I’m sure most here would have put a team out there better than what Elias has. Maybe walking papers are what he deserves after rebuilding 80% of the organization. Can’t please everyone though. 

2 minutes ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

I’m sure most here would have put a team out there better than what Elias has. Maybe walking papers are what he deserves after rebuilding 80% of the organization. Can’t please everyone though. 

The garbage on field product has zero to do with Elias although I do think it’s fair to wonder if he can develop pitching.