Connor Norby 2022

Just Regular

21 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-connor-norby-swing-adjustment-rise-norfolk-20220921-xchek63x2zg4xbqdhw7mwxm44y-story.html

Between this, and Cowser and Henderson talking about how they had to go back to being themselves, I wonder how much of the new analytics-based development is still taking effect. The swing decisions of the rookies have generally been pretty good at least.

My impression from a bunch of interviews is that the O's aren't prescriptive about changes. Instead, they're giving the players a ton of data/information and letting them work through what works best for them.

I'm sure it's not 100% either way (prescriptive vs. player choice), but those quotes align pretty well with a player understanding what the O's are looking for (power in this case) and then figuring out the best way to get there.

15 hours ago, owknows said:

He has an interesting swing.

Not the shape of it... just the sense that his bat goes slowly through the zone... and he's gently pushing the ball into play.

His power says it ain't so... but I've seen several of his HR swings...  and am always left with the same impression.

I actually get this same exact feeling when I watch Urias bat. Not certain on the actual metrics, but just watching on TV it always looks slow, or at least he doesn't appear to exert the same energy into his swing as the others. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Maybe it is just me, from the highlight just posted he looks bigger than I remembered. Could he have filled out some? Actually looks a little big for 2B. I could see him giving Mountcastle some competition

I saw him in person in Bowie, I think that the clip is a little misleading and might be 'first-game can't find a uniform that fits exactly' kind of thing. Kind of like Gunnar Henderson's batting helmets. I don't think he's as thick in person as that clip seems to show. But maybe, I haven't seen him play in person in months.

8 hours ago, SilverRocket said:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-connor-norby-swing-adjustment-rise-norfolk-20220921-xchek63x2zg4xbqdhw7mwxm44y-story.html

Between this, and Cowser and Henderson talking about how they had to go back to being themselves, I wonder how much of the new analytics-based development is still taking effect. The swing decisions of the rookies have generally been pretty good at least.

I think the Orioles give them information and ideas, and then let them work on it. They're in the minor leagues to develop, and that means experimenting. Gunnar is a better version of himself, he isn't the same hitter as his first MilB season, and Cowser seems to have increased his power production

36 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Wow #27.  A bunch of young guys are going to be close to 30 HR this year (Norby, Henderson, Stowers, & Westburg). 

Ever since the Bowie promotion he has been on fire. Seems like he has leapfrogged Hall, Mayo, and maybe Stowers. Tony's power ranking has him at #9 but I feel like he has to be higher right now. 

I went back to look at a couple of pre-season scouting reports on Norby.   Tony had him at 40/45 raw power, 35/45 game power.  Eric Longenhagen also had him at 40/45 raw power, but 30/45 game power.  Tony noted that Norby had “occasional pop.”  Longenhagen described it as “enough sneaky pop to get to double digit home runs annually.”

So here he is, sitting on 27 homers.  Keep in mind that he got hit in the face by a pitch on May 10, didn’t play again until May 28 and it took him a while to get his bearings when he returned.  He didn’t hit another homer until June 11.  22 of his 27 homers have been on or after that date.  

I’ll be interested to see the power grades this offseason, but I have a feeling they’re not topping out at 45.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I went back to look at a couple of pre-season scouting reports on Norby.   Tony had him at 40/45 raw power, 35/45 game power.  Eric Longenhagen also had him at 40/45 raw power, but 30/45 game power.  Tony noted that Norby had “occasional pop.”  Longenhagen described it as “enough sneaky pop to get to double digit home runs annually.”

So here he is, sitting on 27 homers.  Keep in mind that he got hit in the face by a pitch on May 10, didn’t play again until May 28 and it took him a while to get his bearings when he returned.  He didn’t hit another homer until June 11.  22 of his 27 homers have been on or after that date.  

I’ll be interested to see the power grades this offseason, but I have a feeling they’re not topping out at 45.   

The question is where does he project to play in the majors.   He doesn't play 2B over Ortiz, Westburg and Urias.     His best tool is bats.

Maybe he fits at DH when the O's move Santander at the deadline.

Edited by wildcard

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

The question is where does he project to play in the majors.   He doesn't play 2B over Ortiz, Westburg and Urias.     His best tool is bats.

I think Norby absolutely plays 2B over Urias.

And of the 4 players you mentioned here some of them will have to be dealt.

I think some trading of middle infielders / third basemen for pitching / 1B / DH is inevitable.

In the not-too-distant future.

More good players than places to play them. And if I had to guess, Norby would be less likely to be dealt than most.

50 minutes ago, owknows said:

I think Norby absolutely plays 2B over Urias.

And of the 4 players you mentioned here some of them will have to be dealt.

I think some trading of middle infielders / third basemen for pitching / 1B / DH is inevitable.

In the not-too-distant future.

More good players than places to play them. And if I had to guess, Norby would be less likely to be dealt than most.

I have to admit that I have not seen Norby play much.  So I could be wrong but what I have read says he does not have the arm or the range to beat out Ortiz, Westburg or Urias at 2B.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I'm guessing one or two of Ortiz, Westburg, Urias, and Santander are traded in the off season. If Norby and Ortiz are still flying under the radar (are they?) that would mean Westburg probably has more trade value than any of our other infielders not named Gunnar. Henderson at 3rd, Ortiz at SS, and Norby at 2nd sure makes a lot of sense to me. Keep Urias and/or Vavra as utility and trade the leftovers for pitching. 

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I have to admit that I have not seen Norby play much.  So I could be wrong but what I have read says he does not have the arm or the range to beat out Ortiz, Westburg or Urias at 2B.

Arm is a little less of a concern with the shift being banned. With his bat we need to find a position for him if it's not 2B. I don't think Urias blocks any of these guys but that still leaves 3 guys for two positions. Maybe one position if we keep Mateo at SS.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Can I use the excuse that he was new draft pick and that's what the all the scouting reports said? ;)

Obviously Norby has grown into his power and watching the distance on his home runs and frequency is going to up his power ratings for sure.

What I really want to know is why are so many hitters struggling at Aberdeen vs at higher levels. I know Aberdeen itself is a tough park to hit in since the power alleys are cavernous and maybe the lighting is not great, but why were guys like Norby, Cowser, Henderson and Haskin all better at Bowie? 

Either way, Norby has certainly put himself on the map as a top prospect in the organization. The swing is compact and quick and he's generating real power.