The LF wall tracker

OsEatAlEast

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

A lot of what they have been doing bothers me.

Let’s imagine Adley gets called up tomorrow. Can’t even go watch him take batting practice because the gates open only an hour before the game. Too cheap to pay already low paid employees another hour? 

First game today in three years.Cut out three entrances, no special entrance for season ticket holders and only am hour before the game.No napkins and used to get a stat sheet from the club level press box. Woman there said  keep cutting things, she better be quiet. Makes a bad fan experience. 

The employees are just at the gate doing nothing since here early for the schoolkids 

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

First game today in three years.Cut out three entrances, no special entrance for season ticket holders and only am hour before the game.No napkins and used to get a stat sheet from the club level press box. Woman there said  keep cutting things, she better be quiet. Majes a bad fan experience. 

I have been twice this year. Anything is better than last year but not what it was before obviously.

It’s a joke. 

1 hour ago, deward said:

I don't believe the park has ever had a significant impact on an attempt to sign a pitcher. No pitcher that I'm aware of has ever turned down a best offer from the O's because they didn't like the park. And no pitcher is going to give the O's a discount because they like the new wall. They'll sign pitchers when they make contract offers competitive with the rest of the market, regardless of where the LF wall is.

I mean.  When was the last time the Orioles ever attempted to sign a top tier free agent SP?

Koji Uehara?   Kevin Millwood?   UBALDO?!?!

I agree it has likely never had a big impact before.  That is not mutually exclusive with the fact that if we offer a top guy 180M with the old dimensions vs 180M with the new dimensions............we stand a better chance with the new.    I think this actually isn't even debateable.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I mean.  When was the last time the Orioles ever attempted to sign a top tier free agent SP?

I agree it has likely never had a big impact before.  That is not mutually exclusive with the fact that if we offer a top guy 180M with the old dimensions vs 180M with the new dimensions............we stand a better chance with the new.    I think this actually isn't even debateable.

Is there any examples of say Seattle or the Mets getting a deal on free agent starting pitchers when they had pitcher friendly ballparks?

I think the ballpark ranks below a number of other factors.

1 hour ago, deward said:

I don't believe the park has ever had a significant impact on an attempt to sign a pitcher. No pitcher that I'm aware of has ever turned down a best offer from the O's because they didn't like the park. And no pitcher is going to give the O's a discount because they like the new wall. They'll sign pitchers when they make contract offers competitive with the rest of the market, regardless of where the LF wall is.

It's one factor among many.  But there have probably been cases where it was a key thing.  If you're a pitcher looking for a value-rebuilding one-year deal and it's down to a team in a pitcher's park, or old OPACY you're going to the pitcher's park.

How many Dan Straily's have come to Baltimore and left with PTSD? After 2019 where he allowed 18 homers in 33 innings at Camden Yards he had to go to Korea to build up enough credit to get back to AAA.  Wade Miley allowed almost six runs a game as an Oriole, has been good since leaving.  There was at least the impression that you go to Baltimore and you were going to give up a homer every 3-4 innings.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's one factor among many.  But there have probably been cases where it was a key thing.  If you're a pitcher looking for a value-rebuilding one-year deal and it's down to a team in a pitcher's park, or old OPACY you're going to the pitcher's park.

How many Dan Straily's have come to Baltimore and left with PTSD? After 2019 where he allowed 18 homers in 33 innings at Camden Yards he had to go to Korea to build up enough credit to get back to AAA.  Wade Miley allowed almost six runs a game as an Oriole, has been good since leaving.  There was at least the impression that you go to Baltimore and you were going to give up a homer every 3-4 innings.

It doesn't seem like the club has had a lot of trouble finding Jimmy Key/Doug Drabek/Pat Hentgen/Andrew Cashner/Matt Harvey types to fill out the rotation over the years. FWIW, Wade Miley's ERA was higher on the road in 2016-2017 than it was at home. His issue wasn't the long ball, he just couldn't throw strikes.

When the franchise progresses to the point that they're no longer a laughingstock and proves that they're willing to open the checkbook to bring in talent, they'll won't lack for interested free agents.

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Isn't that the point though? Elias said the park was a problem with signing free agent pitchers. Like who?? When they have ever made a serious effort to do so? You laugh at Ubaldo, but he was coming off a good year when he signed with the O's - he had options, he picked here because the team was good and the money was good. The park didn't matter. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Aglets said:

I think this is one of the more underrated decisions that Elias and his brass have made in his time here.  I think 10 years from now it will be seen as quite brilliant.  It seems quite obvious to me that a big part of his rebuild strategy is to draft bats, and acquire established pitchers.   He (correctly) figured that it will be much easier to entice free agent pitchers to come here if OPACY is seen as a pitcher's park.    Prior to 2022 I believe OPACY was measured to be the most HR prone park in the majors?   I think it was smart to do something about that.

I agree. I was sick of this park and how easily the homers were flying out of here. I also did not like the small wall all the way around and was incredibly happy that they finally did something about the wall and moved it back and also raised it! Could really care less what Mancini thinks about the wall. It was needed. 

40 minutes ago, deward said:

Isn't that the point though? Elias said the park was a problem with signing free agent pitchers. Like who?? When they have ever made a serious effort to do so? You laugh at Ubaldo, but he was coming off a good year when he signed with the O's - he had options, he picked here because the team was good and the money was good. The park didn't matter. 

Sounds like we agree.  We have never attempted to sign a top tier FA before.  We signed Ubaldo in mid February.........generally the top of the top guys aren't available then.

So then we are just left with common sense.  Llike Drungo said.............it may not be THE defining factor.  But it clearly is A factor.   Free agents don't sign based on one single criteria.   If two offers are identical......and the two teams are reasonably similar in other ways.....would you want to pitch in a big stadium or a small one.   Again......i don't understand how anyone would think otherwise.    

Now you can say it may have a near negligible effect on how free agents behave.   That is fine.   Clearly it is just academic until we get our own Scherzer or Verlander to come on down.

8 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Sounds like we agree.  We have never attempted to sign a top tier FA before.  We signed Ubaldo in mid February.........generally the top of the top guys aren't available then.

So then we are just left with common sense.  Llike Drungo said.............it may not be THE defining factor.  But it clearly is A factor.   Free agents don't sign based on one single criteria.   If two offers are identical......and the two teams are reasonably similar in other ways.....would you want to pitch in a big stadium or a small one.   Again......i don't understand how anyone would think otherwise.    

Now you can say it may have a near negligible effect on how free agents behave.   That is fine.   Clearly it is just academic until we get our own Scherzer or Verlander to come on down.

Sure, it's a factor.

How much of a factor is going to vary by player.

I don't think it's going to be the deciding factor.

With modern analytics accounting for ballpark I'd (personally) rank stadium dimensions behind:  compensation, strength of team, division, city (schools/nightlife/culture), geographical location, management.  I may or may not rank it above teammates.