Means DL, Smith outrighted, welcome back Lakins

Legend_Of_Joey

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

It depends on the player.  Do they help the younger players?  Are they signed for an additional year?  A stop gap is someone not here long term.  To me, that could be someone signed through next year.  

There are plenty of situations out there  where making moves to make the team better now is absolutely the right thing to do.

Don’t worry, I’m sure if Elias did just this, you would praise him for it.  

No, rest assured, if Elias starts trading prospects for stopgaps I'll criticize him for it.

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Nor do you trade them for stopgaps to get to 64 wins.

Why not?

At some point you have to identify which ones are worth keeping and discard the rest.  You can't give them all at bats indefinitely.

As some point you have to be willing to risk losing a trade.

For the record I'm not strongly advocating to make a move at this point.  Obviously I'd much rather promote players than bring in outside guys.  But as a matter of practice, you can't be scared to trade a fringe guy because he might pan out.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Why not?

At some point you have to identify which ones are worth keeping and discard the rest.  You can't give them all at bats indefinitely.

As some point you have to be willing to risk losing a trade.

For the record I'm not strongly advocating to make a move at this point.  Obviously I'd much rather promote players than bring in outside guys.  But as a matter of practice, you can't be scared to trade a fringe guy because he might pan out.

Obviously, I'm not advocating never making trades or never trading prospects.

Let's keep these things in context.

I'm specifically criticizing the idea of the Orioles right now trading a prospect for a stopgap pitcher.

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Obviously, I'm not advocating never making trades or never trading prospects.

Let's keep these things in context.

I'm specifically criticizing the idea of the Orioles right now trading a prospect for a stopgap pitcher.

Yea and you used the Tatis for Shields trade as an example of trading a small piece for a stopgap.   

No one is suggesting bringing in 2016 James Shields.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yea and you used the Tatis for Shields trade as an example of trading a small piece for a stopgap.   

NO ONE is suggesting bringing in 2016 James Shields.

Well, of course no one is suggesting trading for a pitcher who will perform badly in exchange for a prospect who will far outrstrip expectations.

That's the beauty of hindsight.

What is being advocated is prospects for "stopgap" pitchers.

I'm pointing out the downside in that.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

No, rest assured, if Elias starts trading prospects for stopgaps I'll criticize him for it.

Do people understand trades at all? What kind of “prospect” do you think we need to give up for a 4A guy? Not much. You should know that from all the trades that have been done. You might even get for “cash considerations”. You might also get off the waiver wire. The point is, they need short term SP help so as to not rush the legitimate SP arms. And this should have been done prior to the start of the season not just for depth but to help mentor the younger arms. Chris Archer would have been perfect.  Cueto signed for a minor league contract. You don’t think he would have helped mentor the younger arms?

7 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well, of course no one is suggesting trading for a pitcher who will perform badly in exchange for a prospect who will far outrstrip expectations.

That's the beauty of hindsight.

What is being advocated is prospects for "stopgap" pitchers.

I'm pointing out the downside in that.

Which Shields did not qualify as.

Talk about hindsight.