Terrin Vavra 2022

interloper

18 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

As much as I want to see Vavra, Westburg, Henderson, and Stowers, there's an element of "if it's not broke don't fix it" going on.    This is not the time to be trading/releasing Odor or even turning him into a part-time player.   How do you want to platoon two LH hitting 2B?

Personally I think we should trade Vavra. He's not going to be as good as Westburg or Henderson, and we have Urias. If we're going to be speculative buyers of controllable SP, it's got to be with prospects like Vavra and some guys in the lower minors. 

Just now, interloper said:

Personally I think we should trade Vavra. He's not going to be as good as Westburg or Henderson, and we have Urias. If we're going to be speculative buyers of controllable SP, it's got to be with prospects like Vavra and some guys in the lower minors. 

Sure, that makes sense but I do hate trading players before they've had the chance to get some ML time and possibly double their trade value.   Vavra "could" be a starting ML 2B or CF but I don't think he has that value right now in AAA.

17 minutes ago, interloper said:

Good utility players have value, he doesn't have to be as good as Westburg or Henderson, he could replace Odor, or McKenna or Urias. Your 2023 bench could be something like Matteo and Vavra with Westburg, Henderson and Urias "starting" plus another player 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

As much as I want to see Vavra, Westburg, Henderson, and Stowers, there's an element of "if it's not broke don't fix it" going on.    This is not the time to be trading/releasing Odor or even turning him into a part-time player.   How do you want to platoon two LH hitting 2B?

That’s a terrible philosophy.

We should always be trying to get better. For the long term and now also for the short term. 

It wouldn’t be a platoon, just assuming the FO is not going to want to completely toss Odor aside so this gets them both at bats until one emerges clearly as the better option.

I also do not believe Vavra is viewed as a future everyday player but if he’s not up now, then when? There is just going to be more competition for at bats in the IF and OF in 2023 and he’s behind Stowers in the outfield if a deadline deal opens up a spot this season. 

1 hour ago, seak05 said:

Good utility players have value, he doesn't have to be as good as Westburg or Henderson, he could replace Odor, or McKenna or Urias. Your 2023 bench could be something like Matteo and Vavra with Westburg, Henderson and Urias "starting" plus another player 

He literally cannot be a utility player. He plays 2B and dabbles in CF. We're going to have to trade SOME minor leaguers for some pitching, so I'm just saying he's the type of guy that still has value but that is pretty easily replaced in the system. Let's trade him before he gets ML experience and teams realize he's not really a starting caliber 2B. 

39 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

That’s a terrible philosophy.

We should always be trying to get better. For the long term and now also for the short term. 

It wouldn’t be a platoon, just assuming the FO is not going to want to completely toss Odor aside so this gets them both at bats until one emerges clearly as the better option.

I also do not believe Vavra is viewed as a future everyday player but if he’s not up now, then when? There is just going to be more competition for at bats in the IF and OF in 2023 and he’s behind Stowers in the outfield if a deadline deal opens up a spot this season. 

I don't believe Vavra is a fit right now.   He might be after the season, which is what they've got to figure out.   He could be a fit at 2B or CF or LF.  He could be trade bait.     If you call him up now you have the lefthanded Vavra whose positions are 2B where Odor is LH and CF where Mullins is LH.   Sure, you can get Vavra AB's up here but I think he's better off continuing to get everyday AB's in AAA.    He's not going to PH for Odor and he's not going to PH for Mullins.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

He literally cannot be a utility player. He plays 2B and dabbles in CF. We're going to have to trade SOME minor leaguers for some pitching, so I'm just saying he's the type of guy that still has value but that is pretty easily replaced in the system. Let's trade him before he gets ML experience and teams realize he's not really a starting caliber 2B. 

I don't know that for sure.   If the front office doesn't feel he's a ML starter at 2B or CF, then they'll make that call.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I don't know that for sure.   If the front office doesn't feel he's a ML starter at 2B or CF, then they'll make that call.

I'm in favor of finding out, but if we're not going to find out, I'd rather trade him than let him rot in Norfolk for the rest of the year. 

16 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yes…yes, exactly!!! 🎯🎯🎯🎯

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm in favor of finding out, but if we're not going to find out, I'd rather trade him than let him rot in Norfolk for the rest of the year. 

I don't think he's rotting in Norfolk.   If he continues to hit at Norfolk, he can either be a candidate for next year's team or be trade bait in the offseason.   If they feel is not part of the future they may deal him before this year's deadline.    Depending on what happens with the current team, he might replace Odor if things go south.

He's a guy with absolutely fantastic OBP skills...Odor is not a particularly good 2B either, what's the chances that the difference between Odor's and Vavra's defence outweighs the positive difference between Vavra and Odor's offense? I tend to think Vavra will certainly be the more valuable player at 2B. 

Think this guy is underrated around here. Players with those kind of OBP skills I want on my team. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, interloper said:

I’m going to throw it out there, that if you - random person on message board - “realizes” he’s not an mlb 2nd baseman, pro scouts from other teams would be able to figure it out too. 

(he’s also played a good amount in cf this year, and if you can handle cf defensively, you can generally handle lf/rf)